Zerotronics Mini-Se

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Zerotronics Mini-Se

Post by T-rex » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:11 pm

In keeping with my gear review thing I have to talk about the Zerotronics Mini-SE I bought a few weeks ago. It is the same as the Mini-LE that he made a limited run of, but in a slightly different case. Or the same as two Mono-Mini's.

I know I am not saying anything new but seriously, this thing sounds unreal. It is astoundingly plate like - that might be a direct quote from Mark, if so credit where credit is due. But, I mean to the point where I really feel like its a mini plate. I would say honestly, if you want a spring reverb don't buy one of these. It doesn't sound like a spring, at all. If driven really hard on the input you can get a little boing but driven normally with high gain on the return it sounds so smooth its insane. It's really subtle. Everything just sounds better when you add it and you get used to the sound and then you mute the efx returns and it is jarring. You realize just how much the damn thing is adding to the signal. Couldn't be happier with this thing although now I feel myself wanting another "springy" spring reverb.

The only downside I can think of is the zero-electronics in it. I don't have external preamps anymore (I know - Blasphemy) which is fine for 90% of what I do since I mainly mix on my board, but it does make routing a little tricky. For instance if I want to send the reverb to something else I have to run it through the board's pres first then back out using an aux or mult. But seriously, small price to pay for the sound and it is tons quieter than my old sound workshop. I loved that SW spring, but this is a totally different thing - totally.

When I get some time, I will try to post a few clips.
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:49 pm

Thanks for posting this! I'd LOVE a plate, and I like spring reverb, and I'm also an occasional DIYer, but I just don't have space or spare money to built a legitimate plate reverb. I certainly wouldn't mind something that isn't actually a plate but has some of that. I've got my eye on this now! Really looking forward to your clips.
My first new personal album in four years - pay what you want - http://jessegimbel.bandcamp.com