chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:22 pm

So, you're saying that badass church is still on the market, eh? :wink:

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:32 am

I've got space envy!

Go for it. Tons of great studios in churches.

evilaudio
buyin' gear

Post by evilaudio » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:15 am

Goose134: HAH! Yeah, won't be suckin' too bad in there!!! Also, totally looking into doing something with that bell tower for sure!! Hopefully the bell's still in there. (Ding. Ding. Time for sessions!) They've got it drop-ceiling'd inside there, but I will check it out if it gets more serious. If nothing more than using it for a smoker's lounge, hah hah!!

:lol:
Blah!

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:55 pm

If you can justify the expense of the build-out and if the wife's game, then do it! Why wouldn't you? Just make sure to get an estimate for adapting it your needs... and then double it. :)

And hey man -- In my world, music is church.

Good luck!

evilaudio
buyin' gear

Post by evilaudio » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:04 am

For anyone who may care or be interested: I have acquired financing and am about to put an offer in for this property!! Things are falling together and moving-forward splendidly! Starting to feel like it's actually going to happen! Still have the inspections and what-not to pass, but they have seemed to have taken really good care of it.

Check out this quick recording I did the other day:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/q083t7db7d8p8ez/QHxeToGci4?m

HUGE drums!! I am excited!!! :D

No processing or EQ (except on kick and master bus to prevent peaks and to even it out just a bit).

I have the room mics almost even with everything else in the mix just to exaggerate the effect you can get. If pulled down or muted, the drums get much closer, tighter, etc... It absolutely rules for slow beats, though! Still a lot of 'verb, but once I get some absorption and diffusion up, WOAH!!

This may be totally obvious to most of you, but for someone like me that's worked his whole musical life out of bedrooms and basements, this absolutely RULES!!
Blah!

vxboogie
pushin' record

Post by vxboogie » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:42 am

evilaudio wrote:Check out this quick recording I did the other day:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/q083t7db7d8p8ez/QHxeToGci4?m
HUGE drums!! I am excited!!! :D
Very cool. What was your setup and how did you get to do this if you don't have the space yet?
Mark - Listen, turn knob, repeat as necessary...

Electro-Voice 664
re-cappin' neve

Post by Electro-Voice 664 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:47 am

Yes!
Sounds like a great room.
Hope all the purchasing stuff goes as well.
"Play ethnicky jazz to parade your snazz. On your five grand stereo."

evilaudio
buyin' gear

Post by evilaudio » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:44 pm

[/quote]Very cool. What was your setup and how did you get to do this if you don't have the space yet?[/quote]

The church owners are gracious enough to let us come in there on their off-days. It was a Monday evening and no one was there at the time. It's only about 20 minutes from me, so it's easy! I've been in there like 7 times now (only recording once). I love it more every time I go!

Setup was: Tascam FW1884 - PowerbookG4 running CubaseLE4 (so there's definitely no "majic" going on with any of my super awesome pres, EQ's, Comps, etc. that I have at the basement studio). 3 Close (dynamic) mics: Kick, snare, floor tom. X/Y stereo overheads (about 9 feet high), one ribbon mic in the middle of the room at human head height, spaced pair omni large diaphragm condensers about 23 feet back and 13 feet high, and one more stereo pair (Zoom H4) way up in the balcony. The H4 was not in the mix as the files didn't quite line-up and kept sliding out of sync... They sound bad ass either way. (NOTE: This is just my simple remote rig, my actual studio gear is pretty top-notch and quite diverse!)

Thanx guys!! Of course, I am a bit biased, so it's great to hear other opinions from fellow engineers!!
Blah!

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:58 pm

I was gonna say "you're so lucky." But I bet being ready had more to do with it. Maybe "I'm super jealous." is more like it.

Ironic screen name though. Church of Satan, biotches!
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:04 pm

This is awesome. I can think of no cooler place to do something like this. Fingers crossed for you!
"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks

goose134
pushin' record

Post by goose134 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:10 pm

Congratulations may be premature, but my fingers are crossed. The audio gave a great impression of the room. Considering you haven't had time to really get to know the space, your first time out was a dinger. You can really hear what it does for the drums, especially the snare. Nice work and keep us posted. Fort Wayne isn't too far from Chicago. Maybe if things come together I can come take a look.
I make a living as an electrician, not recording in the basement.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:34 pm

Y'know, a Drumbrella might be called for in that room.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

evilaudio
buyin' gear

Post by evilaudio » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:07 am

Drumbella: Hell yes! I definitely thought about that one since seeing it on Pensado's place long ago.
Thank you for that though, certainly the kind of things that are helpful here!!

Goose: That would be incredibly awesome of you if you did! If/when we get closer I may definitely take you up on that! Especially for electrical stuff...

thanx!!! :wink:
Blah!

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:55 pm

Heck ("Heck"?) I'm in Chi, also.

Mebbe you could do a open house. I don't know electrical or really anything especially useful, but I could mix some martoonies ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

goose134
pushin' record

Post by goose134 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:59 pm

Might be cool to have a little work/ jam session. Might be nice to put some faces to the handles. I'm in. Wait. I just invited myself over. So rude.
I make a living as an electrician, not recording in the basement.