upright bass micing

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

goose134
pushin' record

upright bass micing

Post by goose134 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:43 pm

I've got to help a friend out and do sound for a show. It's turned into quite a cavalcade of performers, including an upright bass. I'm unsure how to mic this. He may have a plug and play setup, but I don't want to count on it. Thoughts?
I make a living as an electrician, not recording in the basement.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:35 pm

It depends :lol: ... Primarily on a) whether or not there is an amp, and b) whether you want a great sound or just a sound.

Great Sound = multiple blended mikes and miked amp

Sound = a mike pointed at the bridge (or a bridge pick-up like a Fishman), or a mike pointed anywhere in the general direction of the bass.

Be advised that in a live sound reinforcement situation, with hollow-body instruments, there may be a need to be very proactive re: feedback destruction.

GJ

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:35 pm

*Amateur alert*
i've mic'ed up an upright for live performance a grand total of one time, but it seemed to work: Oktava mc012 in omni, down near the bridge and off slightly to the side, and looking up toward the player. I'm sure there's a more tried and true way, but for what it's worth, this one worked pretty well.

dgrieser
steve albini likes it

Post by dgrieser » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:19 am

At bluegrass festivals, I've seen a lot of basses mic'ed with a 57 wrapped in foam or cloth, stuffed under the strings between the tailpiece and the bridge, pointed up at the bridge.

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:43 am

dgrieser wrote:At bluegrass festivals, I've seen a lot of basses mic'ed with a 57 wrapped in foam or cloth, stuffed under the strings between the tailpiece and the bridge, pointed up at the bridge.
Or an EV 635.

Also, I've used an AT4033 about a foot out, but it depends on what the bleed from other instruments is like.

goose134
pushin' record

Post by goose134 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:57 pm

Good tips. I'm thanking my lucky starts there are no drums in this lineup. The hollows of large acoustic instruments just boom away with the drums.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:50 am

Does he have a DI? For live they work fine.

jhharvest
steve albini likes it

Post by jhharvest » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:20 am

DPA 4060 with the string attachment holder sounds pretty good and you don't have to worry about the player moving.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:51 am

Mic in the tailpiece is a classic, and rightly so. Something in a hypercardioid mic is even better.

In general you want to point across the body, not directly at it. And avoid the f-holes.

SafeandSoundMastering
gettin' sounds

Post by SafeandSoundMastering » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:17 am

You might well want a pick up on the instrument and also a clip mic on the instrument this way the sound will not change too much as it moves and also a little less spill. A blend of both is normally the way to go.

cheers

SafeandSound Mastering
Mastering dance music

MichaelAlan
tinnitus

Post by MichaelAlan » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:28 am

This is an awesome thread. My bass player just got an upright and I had no idea how to mic it... some pretty interesting ideas here.
All energy flows according to the whims of the great magnet...

tonewoods
buyin' a studio

Post by tonewoods » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:30 am

dgrieser wrote:At bluegrass festivals, I've seen a lot of basses mic'ed with a 57 wrapped in foam or cloth, stuffed under the strings between the tailpiece and the bridge, pointed up at the bridge.
I really like that EV egg-shaped mic (408?) for this...

It's small, and you can pivot the mic till you hit a spot you like, even when wrapped in a sock....
"You see, the whole thing about recording is the attempt at verisimilitude--not truth, but the appearance of truth."
Jerry Wexler

tonewoods
buyin' a studio

Post by tonewoods » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:31 am

I really like that EV egg-shaped mic (408?) for this...

It's small, and you can pivot the mic till you hit a spot you like, even when wrapped in a sock....
"You see, the whole thing about recording is the attempt at verisimilitude--not truth, but the appearance of truth."
Jerry Wexler

goose134
pushin' record

Post by goose134 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:51 pm

Scodiddly wrote:Mic in the tailpiece is a classic, and rightly so. Something in a hypercardioid mic is even better.

In general you want to point across the body, not directly at it. And avoid the f-holes.
This is good. I was hoping for more advice about where to point it. I don't have a lot of mics, but I do have some hypercardoid types I could try out. As for the DI question, I'm not sure if he's got some kind of bridge pickup or not. I'm a little leery of this because I've learned there will be a small amount of percussion and I'm afraid it'll just echo in the bass. Thoughts on this?
In any event, keep em coming, this is good stuff!

Red Rockets Glare
tinnitus

Upright bass mixing

Post by Red Rockets Glare » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:08 am

The best sound I have ever gotten out of my upright is by shoving one of those DIY mini-omni mics into the actual wooden bridge hole pointing at the bass.

Here is a link to make the mic.

http://tinyurl.com/6upelak

It gets a great blend of string attack, boom, and it's pretty easy to tape it in place and forget about it.

Someone smart like Avenson should make a line of these things and market them to bass players, I have already had several requests to make them for bassists I have used them on at my place.