The Cult

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

vvv
zen recordist

The Cult

Post by vvv » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:56 am

I like Choice of Weapon aiight as a hard rock record, altho' mebbe a little less than Born into This. But last night me and my teen-age son testosteroned out and played Choice followed by Electric, and as dumb as, say, "Love Removal Machine" is, that old record is still their steeple, followed by Sonic Temple and Love.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

CedarSound
pushin' record

Post by CedarSound » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:12 am

"war, she's a whore.. don't you know we need her, more and more?"

Electric was a huge record for me as a kid.. It makes me think of my skate punk days, along with 7 seconds and Black Flag... It is a bit cheesy, but that record rocks in a way that reminds me of AC/DC's Back in Black... just three chords and some big cajones!

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:18 am

I'm a bit older, but hanging in clubs (specifically The Smart Bar in Chicago), that record was the best thing ever, as it gave us actual guitar-rock to dance to.

And after all these years, I can even almost like the cover of "Born to Be Wild".

Mixed, BTW, by Andy Wallace, and produced by Rick Rubin, it's begging for a re-master.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Osumosan
takin' a dinner break

Post by Osumosan » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:15 pm

Funny! I just did a little touch up on my own copy of Electric and have been listening to it for two weeks now. Just needed some warmin' up and I'm lovin' it.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:23 am

One thing we kept noticing is, Ian Astbury can sure rock a tambo, too, what is a odd thing to notice; it really stands out.

Now, where can I get me one of them fur hats? :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.