Will mix for free.

anewman
gimme a little kick & snare

Will mix for free.

Post by anewman » Sun Jan 11, 2004 5:08 pm

I'm looking for Mix work - I don't charge anything. Here's my studio info so you can see what I have going on. Give me a ring, maybe we can work something out.

-Adam
312-493-2455
http://www.pragmastudios.com
I'm a recordist; engineers have degrees.

supafuzz
carpal tunnel

Re: Will mix for free.??

Post by supafuzz » Thu May 06, 2004 12:21 pm

how do we do it? Volume!!

wow that's very cool

good for you!!!
Super 70 Studio.. Never tell a perfectionist that the mix is perfect!

http://www.super70studio.com
http://www.facebook.com/Super70Studio

now in glorious HD3

pauly
pluggin' in mics

Re: Will mix for free.

Post by pauly » Tue Jun 08, 2004 9:13 pm

anewman wrote:I'm looking for Mix work - I don't charge anything. Here's my studio info so you can see what I have going on. Give me a ring, maybe we can work something out.

-Adam
312-493-2455

and we wonder why nobody makes much money doing this. Devalueing our services is just wrong. I mean, nice setup and good intentions kick ass.....but don't you want to quit your day job?

Pauly
Watching television is like taking black spray paint to your third eye.

anewman
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by anewman » Wed Jun 09, 2004 1:06 pm

Funny how you don't hear anyone bitching about TapeOp being free.
I'm a recordist; engineers have degrees.

pauly
pluggin' in mics

Post by pauly » Wed Jun 09, 2004 4:18 pm

anewman wrote:Funny how you don't hear anyone bitching about TapeOp being free.

Not at all, but then again I haven't paid for any recording mag in years......they just seem to appear, which is a beautiful thing:)

Pauly
Watching television is like taking black spray paint to your third eye.

stratoblaster
audio school graduate

Post by stratoblaster » Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:04 am

I had to read this thread after reading FREE!

I agree that the direction the industry and technology are going its harder to make any money playing or recording music. I dont think offering your services for free is adding to the problem.

Since its cheaper to build a small recording room then it is to pay for recording time its no wonder the cost of recording fell through the floor. Now engineers are in the same boat as the musicians. You just have to love what your doing enough to do it regardless of the money. If you love to mix and nobody wants to pay for mixing - you gotta mix for free.

The world keeps changing but the music never stops.
Poop on Line6. Get a tube.

mfedderman
pushin' record

Post by mfedderman » Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:10 pm

"Since its cheaper to build a small recording room then it is to pay for recording time"

Just because you can build a recording room, doesn't mean you know how to use it. I am SOO sick of the "people record at home because technology is cheap" argument. Yeah, musicians/bands record at home, but, TALENT always finds its way to a studio and there is plenty of needy talent out there! I am recording a guy right now who put out a cd two years ago that he recorded on his 4 track. He realize his mistake and now, he is recording his 2nd CD at my studio and hiring myself & a drummer to play on his songs, in addition to paying for studio time! And this is just so he can try and sell his songs as a songwriter!

Clients are out there! I just opened my studio in Jan. and I am booked out the ass, and I am in the Chicago area market which is OVER filled with studios! EVERYONE has one or knows someone that has one!

Expand your clientle! If you DO need to make money in this business, try getting corporate work! Or schools! I just did a mobile recording session last week, recording a high school choir straight to DAT. Those charges, plus my mastering charges and duplicating 20 cd's will pay for my rent this month. All for two days of work!

I'll get off my soapbox now! The recording business has gone from a "members only" club to a "the cream will rise" club.

Just my two cents.

-Matt Feddermann
Phase Recording Studios
Highland Park, IL
http://www.phaserecordingstudios.com
"The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left over by those who got there first!"

Toddf
takin' a dinner break

Post by Toddf » Tue Jun 15, 2004 12:33 am

Ads pay for Tape Op and other recording mags. Enough people read the ads and buy gear that the ad client makes a sale hopefully. No commerce happens recording for free.

If I needed to record bands for free to get my foot in the door I would be at the clubs and rehearal rooms in town seeking bands. They would love to see an engineer like you.

Posting to do free work where many people are trying to make a living doing the same work is bound to get you flamed. Todd F.
Todd Fitzgerald
Producer/Engineer
Winterland Studios
Minneapolis, MN
www.winterlandstudios.com

VU-1
audio school

Post by VU-1 » Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:06 pm

If you love to mix and nobody wants to pay for mixing - you gotta mix for free.
If nobody wants to pay for it then they can do it themselves. Then they'll know why professional engineers are worth paying for what they do.

If you get sued but you don't want to pay for a lawyer, you're not gonna find one who'll represent you for free... It's called a skill or trade and you have to pay someone to use those skills to benefit you.

We engineers are here to help you musicians - you help us in return by enabling us to continue to provide our services (by paying!).
O?T?R Mastering
Professional Audio Production for Life

Lavahead
pushin' record

Post by Lavahead » Thu Jun 17, 2004 2:02 pm

I do stuff for free all the time.

I feel like an idiot everytime I do.
steely dan sucks, and so do mesh hats

djui5
audio school graduate

Post by djui5 » Fri Jun 18, 2004 2:54 am

anewman wrote:I'm looking for Mix work - I don't charge anything. Here's my studio info so you can see what I have going on. Give me a ring, maybe we can work something out.

-Adam
312-493-2455
It's people like you who make it hard for people like me to charge what I do for my work....

Why are you mixing for free? Education? If so why don't you make or record your own stuff and mix it?
Randy Wright
Recording Engineer
Phoenix, Arizona

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Mon Jun 21, 2004 11:04 am

djui5 wrote:

-Adam
312-493-2455
It's people like you who make it hard for people like me to charge what I do for my work....

Why are you mixing for free? Education? If so why don't you make or record your own stuff and mix it?
Ah leave him alone.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

stratoblaster
audio school graduate

Post by stratoblaster » Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:37 pm

mfedderman-

I think its great that you are able to stay so busy in a city that is flooded with studios. Kudos. But there are plenty of studios going out of business because a lack of work and some of these studios have great engineers, equipment and recording rooms - the cream so to speak.

I would agree that there would be a difference in the quality you can provide your clients, and the results of a client using a 4-track. There would be far less difference between your studio's results and the results of an experienced client in an aurelex engineered room, ProTools, good mics, pres, and outboard gear - and talent and experience. I would consider the latter to be a studio - not a recording room.

I wish I got paid everytime I picked up my guitar but I don't. Good thing I love to play it. I also love to record other peoples music. If studios continue to fail because of dumbshits that think "its cheaper to build a studio then renting one". (Notice I said studio, not recording room) then I will record for free because thats what I love to do. That was the main point of my post. Second point: state of the art gear is now affordable. That used to be part of a big studio's draw.

I hope there will always be people with deep pockets to pay guys like mfedderman for a nice studio facility and engineer when they want to record.

If not he can do what a lot of talented musicians all over the world have to do: get a day job.
Poop on Line6. Get a tube.

mfedderman
pushin' record

Post by mfedderman » Mon Jun 21, 2004 2:22 pm

"I hope there will always be people with deep pockets to pay guys like mfedderman for a nice studio facility and engineer when they want to record."

So do I. As far as a day job, music is my day job and my night job. I am fortunate! My last post wasn't meant to be an attack on anyone. I just think engineers these days need to take a lesson or two in developing a "actively find work" attitude. I know had to learn how to do that. For me, a "day job" would drive me nuts. So, before I quit my last day job, I figuared out how to use my skills to make a living. Playing guitar 5 days and 4 nights a week, engineering when I can, for little or no money and taking advantage of every opportunity I could find.

-Matt[/u]
"The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left over by those who got there first!"

texlop
pushin' record

Post by texlop » Sun Jun 27, 2004 3:53 pm

mfedderman wrote:"Since its cheaper to build a small recording room then it is to pay for recording time"

Just because you can build a recording room, doesn't mean you know how to use it. I am SOO sick of the "people record at home because technology is cheap" argument.
Why is everyone always kicking the little guy. I have a DAW and I run a MOTU 828 into a Mac G3 all done in my bedroom. I'll admit it is not the best thing and my recordings aren't award winning, but I don't have 50,000 dollars to spend on a big ass studio. You guys make me feel like I shouldn't even try to make it in the business. If it wasn't for todays prices I'd never get my foot in the door. Eventually I plan to own a studio or maybe work in film at a real studio, but for the time being stop hammering those who are just getting started.

Whats with getting on anewman's case he's probably doing this to gain a lot of experience so he can charge later. You never know why one does what they do. I'm sure when you started you weren't as good as you are now. You only get as good as you are through experience. People aren't born to mix.
Last edited by texlop on Sun Jun 27, 2004 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For some good new music check out The Medusas

listen to some of their Mp3's at Pure Volume