vinyl collecting ( and surrounding planetary atmosphere )

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:01 am

shedshrine wrote:Groove Holmes!
Yeah, dig this track from a concert double lp he did with his band and Jimmy McGriff's trading off solos.
Jimmy McGriff & Richard 'Groove' Holmes - Giants of the organ in Concert

yeah i'm a big soul-jazz fan. groove holmes, reuben wilson, jimmy mcgriff, johnny hammond smith, jimmy smith, etc. but as i am a bassist i really only like the stuff with bass players so it rules out a lot of it. self indulging i know, but hey i want to hear a bass not bass pedals.

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:12 am

Just picked up Miles' Live at Fillmore.
I have it on cassette (dubbed from vinyl around 1991 or so) but I never play cassettes anymore. It's better than I remembered it.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:49 pm

apropos of nothing wrote:In addition to his noise music, Xenakis is reputed for being ahead of the curve in computer music meta-design.
https://www.google.com/search?q=xenakis+software
Jj, Have you ever had a chance to mess around with that Xenakis inspired IanniX software?

markjazzbassist wrote:yeah i'm a big soul-jazz fan. but as i am a bassist i really only like the stuff with bass players so it rules out a lot of it. self indulging i know, but hey i want to hear a bass not bass pedals.
Brutal and so legit. *nods knowingly.
ubertar wrote:Just picked up Miles' Live at Fillmore.
I have it on cassette (dubbed from vinyl around 1991 or so) but I never play cassettes anymore. It's better than I remembered it.
Ah, research material for your follow up free jazz/fusion joint "The Other Eye Awake".

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:19 am

Actually, I have been kicking around the idea of the next one (along similar lines) being called "two eyes awake", and following that with a microtonal free-jazz freakout called, "three eyes awake". :D

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:32 pm

Then you could do a nerd-jazz one called "Four Eyes Awake." I don't know when you stop.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:55 pm

I see where you're going with this Snarl. I think we'd top out at six eyes. That third lense keeping UV light from causing cataracts on your minds eye.
I don't know that the other chakras would require lenses,
but this is all groundbreaking stuff, so..
Last edited by shedshrine on Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:31 pm

How many eyes are Alien BEMs (Bug-Eyed Monsters) sporting these days?
If the eye is compound, do they need more than one lens per eye?

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:23 am

Gregg! Great thinking outside the box.
Okay, We get some bug with some ridiculous number of compound eyes, say THIS one:

get a closeup shot that if printed would blow it up to the size of a large table, send the image into that Iannis Xenakis software that will produce a 3D scan algorythym that will translate the eyes architecture into a musical representation..and just sit back and watch the microtonal jazz freakout magic happen.

And then press it to vinyl of course.
Last edited by shedshrine on Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:55 pm

Buyer Beware! Be careful who you buy vinyl from on-line, who the delivery service is, and remind them to get the insurance and pack the dad-gum stuff properly.

My sad story? :

Arrggh! I can't post the pix right now (too technically illiterate), but it's not good. I am not posting the seller's name, because he came across with a semi-righteous offer.

GJ
Gregg Juke

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:32 pm

Yeah, apparently packing vinyl is an art lost on many. Those soft white cardboard mailers that seem to be the standard are useless unless they sandwich the album with stiffeners and tape the sucker tightly. Even dropped and landing on a corner that's usually enough to protect a typical standard weight album.

Unfortunately even that doesn't prove enough sometimes with a modern heavyweight 180 gram record, especially a double album at that weight.

If you happen to order a few records at one time they are usually packed in a bigger box with more protection, but for one-offs, good luck.

Amazon, Silver Platters and a few others I've come across use really stiff oversized mailers that protect all the corners. I wish those were the standard, those things are bullet proof.
So then that supposedly "mint condition cover" you paid for wouldn't arrive like this Urge Overkill album or worse..
Last edited by shedshrine on Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:43 pm

shedshrine wrote:
apropos of nothing wrote:In addition to his noise music, Xenakis is reputed for being ahead of the curve in computer music meta-design.
https://www.google.com/search?q=xenakis+software
Jj, Have you ever had a chance to mess around with that Xenakis inspired IanniX software?
Haven't played with that one, but a different Xenakis-inspired software that I don't currently remember the name of. Interesting technique. IanniX does look pretty interesting; I will have to delve more deeply.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:15 am

Last edited by Gregg Juke on Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:39 am, edited 3 times in total.
Gregg Juke

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:46 am

Such carnage! Such wrath! I've had some arrive bent and dinged, but never one that messed up. What album is it?

I kept clicking through the photostream and checked out the pics of the bands, the studio and the dancing as well.. :)

as for posting photos from flickr so they show up in the thread, choose your pic, click share, then select bbcode, select your size, copy the link and put it in your post :

ImageUnacceptable by rhythmgj, on Flickr

ImageMore Bad by rhythmgj, on Flickr
Last edited by shedshrine on Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:33 am

Ah, you had to pick the messy storeroom that is supposed to be the record library. It actually looks way worse now (but not as bad as that destroyed album cover!!)...

Several were bent, but the vinyl seems ok. The terribly destroyed cover was a pretty pristine copy of Tito Puente and Celia Cruz-- "Alma con Alma."

GJ

PS-- Will try editing the links now to see if the pix actually show in-thread. Sure wish the TOMB had an upload feature!

PPS-- What a drag it is getting old. Maybe one of my kids can do it... :(
Gregg Juke

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:10 pm

Changed the pic for you. :)