I bought a CD!

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

I bought a CD!

Post by digitaldrummer » Mon Nov 27, 2023 6:15 am

it was Black Pumas - Chronicle of a Diamond, but that's not really my point.

I mean, I bought a CD. one CD. all year. And all year long my bands are trying to get others to buy CDs from us (and we've sold very little). I'm typing this while listening to SiriusXM through some Sonos speakers (which don't sound as good as my real stereo system, but it sure is convenient to just punch it up on my phone and have it play - plus I need to re-cap my NAD 7225PE and I keep putting it off...). So I'm guilty of streaming too even though I hate the thought of how little is benefitting musicians (but at least I don't have Spotify - I've got some standards to uphold lol).

when's the last time you bought a new CD? or new vinyl even? (used is cool but again does not really directly benefit the band/musicians)
Last edited by digitaldrummer on Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Re: I bought a CD!

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:28 am

I bought a Speedy Ortiz CD when I went to see them recently, and I just bought three CDs from the Suicide Squeeze label (Death Valley Girls, Julia Shapiro, Holy Wave) because they were on sale & cheaper than digital downloads. Lately more of my music buying has been through bandcamp. If there's something I'm listening to a lot on line, I'll often buy a track (or EP, or album) there, because it's a better way to support an artist than just listening through an online service. And having a downloaded digital copy allows me to make mix CDs (or SDs, if I'm using my antiquated MP3 player) for long car trips.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:04 am

I need to do better... :lol:
Mike

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:04 am

Maybe something like The Raconteurs or The Dead Weather’s last release? I realize vinyl is the cool buy but 1. I don’t listen to vinyl normally 2. Third man records doesn’t believe in giving you a download code with it

But I’m holding on to a dvd / cd dupe tower should CDs make an unlikely comeback for bands to diy! (Also will happily sell it to anyone here for a deal)

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:46 pm

Can't remember, but I usually try to buy CD's at shows. Trouble is I'm not going to shows all that much either.

Just recently bought a download album from Deke Dickerson, coulda bought the CD to be shipped with the book I also bought, but I wanted the quick access. Next day I was listening to it in my car off a USB stick.

Mark
tinnitus

Post by Mark » Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:22 pm

I bought a faulty CD player for one part I needed to fix my faulty CD player

Then my NAD 3020i crapped out on me.

Last CDs I bought were two Van Der Graaf Generator reissues in 2022/23 (I forget which)
WWRHS?

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:12 pm

You really don't wanna know re me.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

CraigS63
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by CraigS63 » Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:08 am

I bought the CD a local one-man guitarist was selling. Haven't listened yet.
Beatles Revolver remix box set.
A recent-ish Gary Numan album from his site.
I need to do a little better.
I'd like to have a version of my Sony Discman D-9 that still works (and maybe with Bluetooth and supporting mp3 and other formats).
I have an external CD ROM drive I occasionally used with a prior work laptop (but it has USB A).

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:22 pm

I love recent Gary Numan.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:09 am

sorta off my own topic, but sorta related in a technology way. One of my bands was playing Friday night and we got everything setup a bit early and then we decided that we should probably play some (recorded) music through the PA while we were waiting. Except that nobody had a phone that had a headphone jack anymore (iPhones and Pixels) and nobody had the right cable that split whatever jack to dual RCA (I did have a stereo 1/8" to dual RCA cable) so there was only silence until the band played. This was an older Mackie mixer with RCA tape inputs. I have an X-Air that can play from a USB stick, but I didn't bring that mixer for that show. I got rid of my iPod a looooong time ago but I do have an old portable CD player. I will have to see if it still works because it might work for this kinda thing in the future.... I think it might even play MP3 off a data CD! 8)
Mike

jimjazzdad
takin' a dinner break

Post by jimjazzdad » Wed Dec 06, 2023 4:10 am

On average I buy 5-10 CDs (some used) and a couple of vinyls per year. I don't stream music, although I will occasionally listen to a tune I want to hear on YouTube or follow a link to Bandcamp. etc. Last night my wife and I were doing some digital versus vinyl shootouts of Wings albums in honour of Denny Laine. Physical media rules!
Jim Legere
Halifax, NS
Canada

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:09 pm

I've been using the Amazon streaming service. Physical stuff? I am buying vinyl. My oldest kid is into it, so we get to go together to the local stores hunting for stuff he wants, usually new records, while I raid the cheap stuff for old records that were stolen or lost over the years.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:24 am

Speaking of Amazon, it looks like I bought a second CD this year (although it was used) - Car Wheels on a Gravel Road. Then again CDs get written off (come tax time) as "supplies" because they are essential for expanding the musical vocabulary (aka library in my head) to play gigs around town.
Mike

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Dec 07, 2023 3:31 pm

Man, I love Lucinda - that black album (2 ago) is wonderful, the latest (with Brooce and Patti onna few tracks) is also good, lotsa drinking songs.

But those records with Frisell and Liesz are fantastic, she's worked with some great musicians.

And what a writer.

Car Wheels is also notable for its producers (Kennedy and Earle) - a breakthrough for them, I think.

My latest discs since November include the Stones' new one, the Foo's' new one, a Coltrane box set, and a Hellborg/Lane/Apt.Q record, and the latest Wilco, Warner Hodges, the Who's Next box, latest QOTSA, UFO's Werewolves Live, Neil Young's World and Chrome, and DBT's Dirty South box, and a Sonic Youth bandcamp CD release of a live performance in '11 called, Brooklyn, NY.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.