A control-room island versus client comfort?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

premiumdan
steve albini likes it

A control-room island versus client comfort?

Post by premiumdan » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:25 pm

FlooplansOp:

An odd topic subject line, I suppose. ;)

It can house rack gear, books, headphones, etc.
It can also be useful for crowd control.

Has anyone come across a client that felt separated because of an island?
Is there a rough guideline for "leg room" behind the mix position?

The control-room plan is ~14 feet from window to back wall.

Thanks!
-Dan
U.S. off-shore drilling project: 1.5kHz @ +25db.

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:38 pm

I hate islands. if you want to separate the client/fans from the console, go old school and put the couch in front of the console...

if the desk is up front, i want to be able to roll back without worrying about taking the knobs off my 1084's...

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

Recording Engineer
steve albini likes it

Post by Recording Engineer » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:45 pm

I've never had a rack/ "producer's desk" behind me in my studios, but am about to in the remodel I'm doing. Personally, I don't think I'm gonna like it, but this time it just didn't make sense not to; with all the gear that is going in!

I think the big thing is for there to be plenty of space between the console and rack. Enough space for anyone at the console to push-back quite a bit and there's still plenty of space to easily walk between them and the rack; without any bumping.

Even then, I still think it looks and feels cramped in my 400+ s. f. control room. Of course, a good part of that is the console and other rack gear foot-prints. Regardless, I don't think that goes away until you start getting up into the 600-800 s.f. control rooms.

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:32 pm

I definitely feel like there needs to be room to move around comfortably, but for gear nerds like myself not having an island means having racks going up to the ceiling, which in turn means big, flat, untreated walls. At our new place I'm trying to create an environment where the whole room sounds even at ear level. That way I never have to tell the client to get up off the couch because they can't hear anything back there. If a client wants to be more involved at any point they're welcome to pull up a chair and sit by the desk, while everyone who's wants to keep chatting, reading, or taking a nap can hang back and still clearly hear what's going on.

Every studio is a series of tradeoffs. If I didn't have the square footage to be comfortable with an island I wouldn't have one. There are definitely arguments for either option. You just have to sort out what's more comfortable for yourself. Maybe try putting some sort of divider in your current workspace and see if you feel restricted by it.

premiumdan
steve albini likes it

Clients' leg room?

Post by premiumdan » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:00 pm

Thanks, All, for the info.
Keep it coming!

And to flip the coin here...:
Is there a rough guideline for "leg room" at the couch position?
:lol: :wink:
Had to laugh 'cause it sounds funny, but the term KIND OF fits...

Thanks.
-Dan
U.S. off-shore drilling project: 1.5kHz @ +25db.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:34 am

Islands are cool for making EQ adjustments in front of the speakers, but that's about it. I've worked in plenty of studios with islands and I can totally work with them, but I REALLY like just being able to turn around and actually talk to people without having to look around or over some big thing. I think not having one makes the client feel more comfortable and part of the project. I know I feel less isolated if I'm playing drums on a session and listening back without some big thing in the way.

I know I'm gonna bum out some friends of mine who have islands in their control rooms.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:06 pm

I hate them with a passion.

Mainly because they hate me back...

In your space, you probably will cramp the remaining room anyways.

A good Island will eat anywhere from 4-5 feet depth, plus whatever width you choose to make it.

So that leaves 10 feet for everything else.

Add console which will be from 4-6 feet from the wall, dependingon how near the wall you put it, and you now have only 4-6 feet eft for human habitation, without the couch, which will eat about 3 feet of depth.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:43 pm

A well built one can be fantastic. Doesn't have to be in the way. Doesn't have to ruin eye contact. Gear within reach from the console. Nice to have a desk surface behind it, AC and tie lines for floater gear.

What's the rub? I've always liked 'em.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:43 pm

My clients generally have scripts, pages of notes, and laptops. They need someplace to put 'em. So there's a desk behind me where they can sit and work and listen and watch. There happens to be a rack of gear under the front of it. The desk is on a part of the floor that's raised 5 inches above the part of the floor my chair sits on. I have no issues with eye contact once I turn around, and there's enough space between us that if I need to concentrate on something and let them talk amongst themselves for awhile, we're not in each others' way. I think it works just fine.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:15 am

A well built one can be fantastic. Doesn't have to be in the way. Doesn't have to ruin eye contact. Gear within reach from the console. Nice to have a desk surface behind it, AC and tie lines for floater gear.

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:16 am

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:59 pm

Hey Roscoe, what's your question again?

Sorry. Couldn't help it.

I just don't like having a giant obstacle in front of me when I'm trying to have a conversation with someone. It might as well be a big strip of police tape or a set of construction cones. It's certainly no deal-breaker for me or anything, but a control room without an island always feels more welcome and inviting to me than one with.

I do like the idea of a small coffee table in front of the client couch.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:59 am

cgarges wrote:Hey Roscoe, what's your question again?

Sorry. Couldn't help it.

I just don't like having a giant obstacle in front of me when I'm trying to have a conversation with someone. It might as well be a big strip of police tape or a set of construction cones. It's certainly no deal-breaker for me or anything, but a control room without an island always feels more welcome and inviting to me than one with.

I do like the idea of a small coffee table in front of the client couch.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
I've never thought of gear as an obstacle. That's a new one on me?

I guess you are still mad at me for asking if you had Pro Tools? :lol:

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:30 am

What, am I not allowed to have a differing opinion? Haha!

I don't care whether it's gear or a big pile of logs. Something big like an island between my client and me is less comfortable than not having something there. That's my opinion. It doesn't have to be anyone else's but when asked, that's my answer.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:18 pm

I have to go with Garges. I like working in studios without an big island 'o gear behind me. if its there, whatevs...i can deal. also, get the monitor off the console please. stick 'em both on the flank.