Car advice...

DUC
buyin' a studio

Car advice...

Post by DUC » Mon Jun 02, 2003 7:11 pm

I have a Honda Accord, that piece of shit. I should take better care of it. Now, I've blown the rear speakers and I need new ones... but why stop there?

I'm thinking of replacing my tape deck with a CD player. I rather listen to tapes (tape sounds beefier), but I can burn mp3s to CDs.

Are there any cheap CD players that play mp3 files?

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Re: Car advice...

Post by eeldip » Tue Jun 03, 2003 8:06 am

hey, when did you turn into phil collins?

as for the car stereo, i cant help you. i dont drive because i am a snobby city person. but as far as i can tell the #1 most important thing about a car is the stereo, so dont skimp on it.

Rick Hunter
dead but not forgotten

Post by Rick Hunter » Tue Jun 03, 2003 9:06 am

get some ok speakers at some store. And then get an 15 gig Ipod. Thats what I did and I drive more than ever.

DeafinONEear
steve albini likes it

Post by DeafinONEear » Tue Jun 03, 2003 9:43 am

eeldip wrote:as for the car stereo, i cant help you. i dont drive because i am a snobby city person. but as far as i can tell the #1 most important thing about a car is the stereo, so dont skimp on it.
Yeah, that's what I said until my car got broken into for the 4th time.... First they took the box and the amp, then they took the tape player, then they took the replacement CD player, then they took the replacement CD player AND a CD book with over 80 albums, then they took my sweatshirt.

I know San Francisco is like car theft heaven, but you too are in a big city-- don't sink money into something that can be so easily stolen! I like justo's idea.... get a cheap-e stereo that can accept an input (last time I was in the market I found multiple examples of these) make sure it's detachable AND DON'T THINK OF YOUR CAR AS A HIFI SETUP! The less money you put in there, the less you're going to loose at some point. I may have an overly pessimistic view of this, but living in Bayview scarec the shit out of you enough to realize cars are for transportation and nothing more.

DUC
buyin' a studio

Post by DUC » Tue Jun 03, 2003 12:00 pm

iPod... ugh. Just what I need, another computer gadget. I agree with not spending too much money. I've had my stereo stolen twice. I'm just glad the theif can now listen to Sonic Youth and Dinosaur Jr.. Maybe it'll broaden his musical taste.

Do the levels match that well when using an iPod in the car? Is there a buncha' distortion?

cassembler
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by cassembler » Tue Jun 03, 2003 1:40 pm

I'd go for some stock Honda system... people seem to steal stock systems much less... And go wav file, for the love of God.
http://www.dfwsound.com (production co)
http://www.dfwsoundvision.com (studio)
"Man is doomed to perpetually fluctuate between states of extreme boredom and extreme turbulence."

Rick Hunter
dead but not forgotten

Post by Rick Hunter » Tue Jun 03, 2003 2:14 pm

Duc,

Yeah the levels match up ok. Its just like having a diskman or minidisk player, going through that tape adapter thing. My car stereo has a 1/8th inch line in, so I go through that. There can be a little distortion if it is cranked all the way up, but thats easy enough to fix. You can find a used one pretty cheap on ebay now. The new ones aren't as durable.