Recommended Resources for Studio Construction

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Recommended Resources for Studio Construction

Post by kslight » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:26 pm

So I'll start out by saying I have done some research, both online and I have a copy of Rod Gervais Home Studio Building book and a Master Handbook of Acoustics book leftover from school.

A client acquired a 2 story warehouse unit (unfortunately no dimensions/photos right now, but the left half of it has a large garage door (big enough for a semi, but it goes all the way to ground level for a car) and the right half has an office entrance, approximately 36ft ceilings (varies in some places, the roof is sloped a bit), and the office side of it is lofted with a large staircase wrapping around. The main intent of the space is to store his art, music gear, etc...and he was already throwing away the same amount of money every month on storage units so why not get a warehouse that can be used as a studio. Noise transmission is not an issue, this is in an industrial area. Yes, I realize dimensions are a big part of the equation, and I will be getting them next time I am there.

The lofted area is essentially unfinished, there is a staircase with railing, and railing all around the floor, and recently electricity was put in. This is where we will be putting the studio, as the main floor will be an office, bathroom, art space, van loading area, and storage. We intend to extend the lofted area's floor so it goes to the other half of the building, starting at where the garage door retracts.

Obviously right now we are just in the planning stages. I do understand some of the concepts illustrated in the books I have listed, but I definitely need some more resources, both in books to help plan, and would really like to be able to bring the dimensions, photos, and our basic plans to an acoustic engineer or someone of the like, who can translate our needs into something practical and easy to understand for the carpenters and various hired hands who will be building this project. We have a pretty good budget on getting everything constructed, but our main concerns are understanding our limitations (neither of us being acoustic engineers) and avoiding mistakes and/or overlooking something important.

Waltz Mastering
steve albini likes it

Post by Waltz Mastering » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:23 pm

If you're going to be in it for the long haul, I would recommend setting up a meeting at the studio with a trusted studio designer and builder.

You can hire them to consult with for a few hours. I did this and it really worked well in understanding the scope of the undertaking in the planning stages.

There's also http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/ to check out.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:42 pm

Yes I will be in for the long haul. Problem with setting up a meeting on location is that the space is in Iowa, and I am under the impression that there are not many studio designers in Iowa, closest would probably be Minnesota... Which isn't really a problem, I mean we'd rather do it right and if we have to get someone in to get an accurate design then so be it.

Thanks for bringing up the John Sayers forum...totally forgot about that.

GIK Acoustics
pluggin' in mics

Post by GIK Acoustics » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:50 pm

Many designers work remotely - in fact, most of the ones I know of do quite often. As long as you have plans for the current building and are able to send them off to whichever acoustician you choose, they should be able to send you a completed design back.
Alexander Reynolds
GIK Acoustics USA | (770) 986 2789
GIK Acoustics Europe | +44 (0) 20 7558 8976 (UK)

goose134
pushin' record

Post by goose134 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:47 pm

Brother, I do construction and many times the architect will be out of state. In your case, have an architect do a site survey. This will document all of the room dimensions, type of construction, location of utilities and so forth. After that, you'll be given a set of drawings that lay it all out so your studio designer can go to work.

During construction, simply set up a conference call every week or so and get questions answered, give progress reports and so forth. If you have construction meetings, bring pistachios. You'll be amazed at the regularity of attendance.
I make a living as an electrician, not recording in the basement.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:42 pm

Any idea what a pro designer runs (no construction costs, just designing something that will make sense to those who will build it)?

goose134
pushin' record

Post by goose134 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:00 pm

I had a site survey done for the possibility of converting my two flat into a single family. He gave me measured drawings of the basement, first and second floor and it ran around $2K.

I think how much you pay a studio designer depends a lot on how involved the project is. Inquire about rates and a ballpark total is all I could say.
I make a living as an electrician, not recording in the basement.