Setting up powered monitors and passive monitors

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

garysun
takin' a dinner break

Setting up powered monitors and passive monitors

Post by garysun » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:36 pm

This kind of stuff is confusing to me, and I know I should understand it, but here goes...

I have an Apogee Ensemble that I currently run into a stereo tuner which powers 2 sets of speakers, NS10's and other Yamahas.

I just got a pair of Adam A7 powered Monitors. How can I hook them up and also be able to use the NS10's. Being able to switch back and forth is important.

Your help is appreciated!
Thanks
Gary

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Setting up powered monitors and passive monitors

Post by Nick Sevilla » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:25 pm

garysun wrote:This kind of stuff is confusing to me, and I know I should understand it, but here goes...

I have an Apogee Ensemble that I currently run into a stereo tuner which powers 2 sets of speakers, NS10's and other Yamahas.

I just got a pair of Adam A7 powered Monitors. How can I hook them up and also be able to use the NS10's. Being able to switch back and forth is important.

Your help is appreciated!
Thanks
Gary
Hi,
Can you use the tuner to run another signal to the new speakers, but through a non-speaker output, like a "tape rec" or similar?

Otherwise you can use the Ensemble's internal software monitoring to send another pair of outputs to the powered speakers, which can be volume controlled from the ensemble's front panel knobs.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

garysun
takin' a dinner break

Post by garysun » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:57 pm

that would be ideal. if i can run the powered monitors out of the tuner it would be great. which output would not be powered though? the phono output or the tape output?

HeavyHand
takin' a dinner break

Post by HeavyHand » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:24 pm

Use the tape output as I believe it to be a line level signal. Not sure if the volume knob on the front controls tape output volume or not though. Give it a try but pull your master fader way down first incase there's no volume control.
Ok, who brought the dog? - Louis Tully
www.facebook.com/BigTerribleMusic

garysun
takin' a dinner break

Post by garysun » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:08 am

That would be great if I can run the powered monitors from the tape output, but then I'd have to feed the Apogee into the tape input and might lose the ability to use the other passive speakers like the NS10's. Unless I'm wrong which is entirely possible.

The way it is now the Apogee is going into an aux and the receiver has speakers A and B which I can use to switch back and forth.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:45 am

Now,

With all this said, I really am now scratching my head and wondering, why you have an expensive Apogee Ensemble, and are running it into the A/V tuner?

If I were you, I would make different arrangements soon, like getting a mixing console with monitoring on it, or even a monitor box, like from Coleman Audio, or another company.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:36 pm

That being said (what Nick said... Right there ^^^^), there is a place for the stereo amplifier, which is more of a "real world" monitoring situation (well, "real world" today would be an iPod, but...). We have the Central Station, for nice pristine unadulterated listening. But to get all of the monitor choices we have in the loop, and to add some of that real world monitoring, we have a couple of stereo amps, an Alesis power amp, and a couple of simple Radio Shack switchers. Lots of options is good, I think...

GJ

garysun
takin' a dinner break

Post by garysun » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:15 pm

Exactly... what Greg said. I like the real world monitoring situation. I like that I can switch between my cd player, ipod and FM radio to compare the mixes coming out of my Pro Tools. I'm actually not sure why more studios aren't like this.

What would you suggest I replace the A/V tuner with and still be able to check mixes against a cd and ipod. I'm open to ideas. I appreciate the feedback!

garysun
takin' a dinner break

Post by garysun » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:25 pm

The Central Station looks ideal. Until I can swing that I'd love to be able to keep using the stereo tuner. I tried plugging the Adams speaker into the Tape out and it doesn't work. I could go out from the Apogee 3/4 into the Adams but then I'm controlling the volume from Pro Tools which doesn't seem so great a plan.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:03 am

You're going to have to hit a switch or turn a knob that tells the tuner to direct the "source" input to the tape out. It needs to know you want to record "aux" or whatever you've got the apogee going into, instead of, say, phono, or what have you. But remember, it's going to be full blast aux, bypassing the volume knob (which controls your tuner speakers volume) on the tuner. So turn those Adams way the fuck down so you don't blow them until you suss out the volume sitch.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.