Give me a reality-check on a live PA gig...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Give me a reality-check on a live PA gig...

Post by Gregg Juke » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:06 pm

Hey guys (and gals),

I was approached about doing a weekend seminar/workshop thing in November (running live sound). It runs about four hours on Friday night, and about 10 or more hours on Saturday. There will be a small band, motivational speakers, and I think music to play in-between and during break times.

With the fact that I'll probably have to pack gear the night before and maybe jet out of the day-gig early to set-up two hours before hand, all of the hours over the weekend, and at least an hour breakdown at the end the night-- he's talking about 20-25 hours... I quoted a price of $1,000. If I take the lowball local band PA fee of say $350, which is based-on a four-hour gig (but as we know that's really a seven or more hour gig), and divide that hourly, I get about $40-$50 an hour, and a total of about $1250.
I don't want to be greedy, and it is a charity/ministry thing, so I quoted one grand.

The guy hasn't responded to me in a couple of days, and I don't know if he's busy, is checking-out other prices, or just thinks I'm out of my tree.

Does that sound fair to you? Am I on point with the quote?

GJ

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:55 pm

I've done more for less, and also done less for more.

This, sounds about right.

Whether or not the patron thinks the price is right, you will only find out that it was if he hired you.

But, also, do not cheapen yourself.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:28 am

That description sounds like a difficult gig, to be blunt. Not for technical reasons, but because "charity/ministry" and long hours sounds a bit flaky to me.

Charge what you consider yourself worth. Don't give more than a token discount on that.

And definitely make sure you're paid.

vxboogie
pushin' record

Post by vxboogie » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:18 am

Doesn't sound out of range at all. I'd charge what you think is fair and let the chips fall where they may. To be clear, is that just running sound or are you supplying the PA as well?

I've spent tons of volunteer hours over the years with ministries, but its usually mostly time and not my own gear and people that I have a relationship with. Even then I get amazed at what people expect for cheap or free. Many stories there, but I always go into these situations knowing what I'm willing to give and get out of the situation and try not to get let down when the human-ness happens.
Mark - Listen, turn knob, repeat as necessary...

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:46 am

Nah vx, it's a "bring PA" gig too. Not a huge set-up, but big enough for one guy-- no console; probably a Mackie head, some heavy Yamaha 15's and horns, at least a couple of wedges, mikes and stands, all cables, a couple of DI's, a pro CD player and an iPod set-up, wireless mike, maybe some lights. A very difficult concrete and glass room, down some stairs near a lake (not an easy load-in).

I offered to record and/or video-tape as well, for a greater cost because of time and probably having to hire some help.

I too have done the volunteer thing for 30 years. I will continue to I'm sure, but this thing is pretty well-funded, and lots of other people are getting their propers, soooo...

GJ

vxboogie
pushin' record

Post by vxboogie » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:17 pm

Gregg Juke wrote:I too have done the volunteer thing for 30 years. I will continue to I'm sure, but this thing is pretty well-funded, and lots of other people are getting their propers, soooo...
GJ
Yea, well worth the price for them. And if they balk, I'd walk!
Mark - Listen, turn knob, repeat as necessary...

GooberNumber9
tinnitus

Post by GooberNumber9 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:04 pm

Five years ago I was happy to make $300 for a local band gig and if I was bringing the gear that was a loss for me. I suppose if I could have booked 5-7 nights a week then I might have just barely been able to pull minimum wage out of that rate, over the course of a full year. I'd say your price was on the low side, and even charities will pay full price for anything they can't get donated.

I work for a charity and I prefer that we actually buy things at the going rate. When people donate stuff you can't really complain about it or get a refund or say you are not getting your money's worth. Only donate something to a charity if you can easily part with it and it's actually worth something. Only donate time to charity if you really don't need to devote it to doing something else and you can do something the charity needs. The charities prefer it that way on both counts. If you're not out-right donating something, then treat the charity like any other business. They also prefer that side of things that way.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:56 pm

Ministry is touring with Amanda Palmer? WTF?!
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:03 pm

Yes.

She got them to donate their show for the chance to be involved in a kerfuffle.

GJ

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:12 pm

If the total number of hours can get cut down by hiring someone to help out for a reasonable fee, it may be worth it to do that and see if you can lower the rate any. I NEVER do live sound and avoid it like the plague, but I have one recording client who talked me into doing it a few years ago and it's turned into a once-a-year gig. Over the last few years, they've made a few more requests (and have always paid me more for each one), but last year, I reached a point where I had to budget for an assistant. They agreed and I was AMAZED at how much quicker I got in and out and how much the efficiency of the whole thing improved. My day went from a twelve hour day to an eight hour day and even with the assistant, hour-for-hour, I made more money, did less heavy lifting, and felt better (physically) the next day.

Worth considering.

By the way, I did another session with Len today. Man, that dude has got such a great sense of humor.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:07 pm

Yes Chris. He does! You have to be prepared for it, because it's usually so deadpan. Many have not known about that, and had no idea what he was on about. But every once in awhile, he cracks himself up, which is great fun too.

Please tell him I said "hi," and thanks for the tip.

GJ

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:02 pm

Gregg Juke wrote:Please tell him I said "hi," and thanks for the tip.
Will do. Looks like he's coming back in Tuesday night.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:13 am

Coolio. He's a riot, and it's not often that that much musical talent and that much comedy talent join forces.

Also, I just remembered (re: the assistant thing); I was supposed to do the gig with my partner, who got another gig he can't get out of, so it's just me. I guess I could try to hire a helper, but we'll have to see what they come up with. I was thinking, if I'm doing all the work myself, I deserve at least that much, y'know?

GJ

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:58 pm

Would you do it for less? (I freakin' wouldn't.) If the answer's no, then all the worrying about their reaction and what others might be bidding is kinda academic.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:18 pm

Totally true, CK. I think I would do it for a little less, which is why I (very realistically, I think) ball-parked it at a grand. If he came back with $850, I'd consider it. $300, no way, of course.

It's just that he still hasn't responded to my simple, plain-English email, which made me double-check to make sure that I wasn't the one out of my gourd (in this particular case, that is).

GJ