Video Monitoring System for the studio..

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

opus
pluggin' in mics

Video Monitoring System for the studio..

Post by opus » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:16 am

Im looking for a system to visually tie a live room and control room together that are on separate floors. I just want to improve communication between the 2 rooms.

I have a few spare computer monitors that I could use and I guess I would need 2 small cameras and a way to tie all that together.

What are people using? Any suggestions or can someone point me in the right direction. Cheap is important!
Thanks

goose134
pushin' record

Post by goose134 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:20 pm

I suppose a small security camera system could be employed to do this. Some of the systems I've seen could be scaled down to just the cameras and software. It's not like you need a DVR to record the exchanges. There are even wireless models. Here's a link for a wireless two camera setup. with router.
http://www.qvc.com/qvc.product.E223402. ... adtype=pla

As far as audio communication, a talkback mic with speakers in the room or into the headphone distribution should suffice.
I make a living as an electrician, not recording in the basement.

klangtone
pushin' record

Post by klangtone » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:15 pm

Similar to the original poster, I'm looking for a good video solution for the studio, but not for communication... I want to record 3 or so channels of video of the band tracking to later edit it together into a YouTube video.

If anyone has any solutions to share, let me know.

Thanks,

Roy
www.rarefiedrecording.com
"No matter how corrupt, greedy, and heartless our government, our corporations, our media,
and our religious and charitable institutions may become, the music will still be wonderful." -Kurt Vonnegut

kevin206
gettin' sounds

Post by kevin206 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:26 pm

For video communication i would setup something similar to what you would get with Skype on laptops. For example, I would have it where you would look to the monitor screen to talk and the camera would be facing you. I can't imagine that any camera would have a microphone that would work well for this situation, so you may need a mic, camera, and screen at each location. The camera/monitor part would be fairly easy and not too expensive. The mic/speaker monitor part might be a little trickier to get working well.

For comping a video of tracking...

http://www.youtube.com/user/jessegimbel

Check this guy out for some inspiration. A lot could be done with only a camera or two if you get creative.