dave fridmann and tame impala

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

joninc
dead but not forgotten

dave fridmann and tame impala

Post by joninc » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:41 pm

been listening to the last 2 tame impala albums a bunch. recommended headphones listening!! so much cool sonic stuff. panning, swirling, crunchy, fuzzed out, trippy, groovy but well crafted 60s psych pop.

i am constantly amazed at the sound of anything fridmann has touched...i know he didn't record these, only mixed, so it's hard to know how much they transformed from the raw tracks (that'd be really interesting to hear) but there's something so satisfying about the way his stuff sounds. (thinking LIPS, Mercury Rev, the low album he did etc..)

there's this solidness - a strong, (but not too harsh) mid range focus that feels so much more punchy than what i have been able to get. it's a grit that i LOOVE. there's definitely some cool distortion and pumpy compression happening.

the vocals are so clear and crisp - they have a distinct place in the mix and are not fat - definitely carved up low end and yet, you don't feel like there is anything missing.

there's tons of cool phasing stuff going on and i wish i had some sense of how he does that.

anyone know if dave fridmann is mixing OTB still or ITB or hybrid? i know he owns a humongous pile of gear but it seems most guys are moving more and more ITB...

(i always assumed you need cool old outboard to get stuff this vibey, but have been proven wrong many times..)

don't me wrong - i am sure that the stuff was recorded very intentionally with character instruments and recording gear, i am not assuming it ALL happens at mix. either way - it's cool stuff.
the new rules : there are no rules

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:47 pm

the song Feels Like We Only Go Backwards from Lonerism has some amazing mix phase stuff going on.
the new rules : there are no rules

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:49 pm

I've only heard a few songs, but definately some cool sounding mixes for sure. I get the impression that the band definately tracks things with lots off effects, but no doubt the it gets psych'd out in the mix.

the "Feels Like..." song definately has a Beatles Sgt Peppers vibe...bass tone reminds me of "Lovely Rita".

Edit: I can't type
Last edited by ott0bot on Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

the finger genius
re-cappin' neve

Re: dave fridmann and tame impala

Post by the finger genius » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:09 pm

joninc wrote:
anyone know if dave fridmann is mixing OTB still or ITB or hybrid? i know he owns a humongous pile of gear but it seems most guys are moving more and more ITB...
I'm not sure about these records, but I know he has a very nice Otari console, and I'd be pretty surprised if he wasn't still using it for mixing these days.
vvv wrote:
That said, what I'm gettin' at is, perfectionism is for the truly defective.

You may quote me.

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:18 am

"Lonerism" was tracked in a bedroom at home in Perth, with overdubs done on planes, Paris apartments, etc etc. It's an amazing record (as is the first) and everything sounds incredible. Not sure if that sound is original tracking or DF's mixing, but what a success either way. The bass sounds like Pepper because it's a Hofner (or Hofner copy). Also, Kevin Parker plays every note on the album except for the keyboard break in "Elephant."

Check these out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lpa2IfHQ ... xmXHj6-KdI
http://youtu.be/YxmXHj6-KdI

Also...see them live. Caught them in November here in Philly and it was the real deal.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord