Studio share contract?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

detroitdiesel
gimme a little kick & snare

Studio share contract?

Post by detroitdiesel » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:17 am

Thinking of trying to find another engineer/producer to work out of my studio on days I am off. I was wondering if anyone knows of a simple contract available in pdf or something.

I don't want to get screwed out of what I've built up over the last two decades.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

Thanks, DD

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:44 pm

I was wondering if anyone knows of a simple contract available in pdf or something.
I'd guess that the specifics on such an agreement vary quite a bit from case to case. There might not be a one-size-fits-all boilerplate contract.

Within the bounds of the law, there are all sorts of different ways a share could be put together. It likely depends on the mutual needs of the parties. Do you know what your side of that would look like? Are you ready to bargain around those terms?
I don't want to get screwed out of what I've built up over the last two decades.
If you need to retain control, while adding some billable hours, opening up to freelancers might be a better stepping stone than a whole-hog studio share.
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

detroitdiesel
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by detroitdiesel » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:31 pm

Good point Scum. The freelance approach may be the way to go. My fear is having someone stealing or worse...breaking stuff. Packing phantom into my Royers, etc.

Cheers, DD

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:42 pm

I started to sublet half of a studio share this year. I don't think the two original partners had anything more than a verbal agreement but we wrote it all down when I signed on.
In a nutshell the deal is this -
There is no joint business to the business. There's a joint bank account that the rent and bills come out of but that's the extent of it. We each have our own clients, and charge our own rate.
We split the month in half and have a shared Google calendar for booking. Booking is first come first served. If either guy has booked his 15 days and needs more time he can buy days from the other guy. The rate is laid out in the contract.
Each engineer owns and maintains their own equipment. Anything that's in the studio can be used by the other guy but you are responsible for anything that gets broken.