Fire in Brazil

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

chris harris
speech impediment

Fire in Brazil

Post by chris harris » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:35 pm

If you have any of that ridiculous black foam "acoustic treatment" in your home or your studio, or anywhere else really, please rip that garbage down and dispose of it safely. It doesn't really help your acoustics. And, it puts you and anyone who enters your space in danger.

GIK Acoustics
pluggin' in mics

Post by GIK Acoustics » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:53 pm

While I'm all for ripping down foam in exchange for real broadband treatments and other solutions like bass traps and diffusors, I am going to disagree with the OP that foam puts you in any real danger. At least with the bigger more well known foam companies, they ARE fire rated and tested, and are as safe as any other material in its class. People install these incorrectly or use other products that claim to be the same when they are NOT and this is what causes issues.

Fire Marshalls can be a real pain people, but they are there for a reason.
Alexander Reynolds
GIK Acoustics USA | (770) 986 2789
GIK Acoustics Europe | +44 (0) 20 7558 8976 (UK)

goose134
pushin' record

Post by goose134 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:07 pm

Maybe the fireworks should stay out of doors. The padlocked exits didn't help matters either. I think the video from the Station fire shows how quickly a place like that catches fire and spreads like crazy.
Just horrifying.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVPgzLddshE
I make a living as an electrician, not recording in the basement.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:55 pm

I have a buddy used to be in the fireworks business; he has all kinds of stories of mortars tipping to aim at spectators, duds going off later, bad measurements of powder, etc.

I worked in a rock-show bar in the early '80's and recall the flashpots, in particular, burning people, altho' usually it was those on stage.

I agree, keep the pyro outside.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:51 pm

Basically this proves once again that stupid musicians and greedy bar owners are a universal menace.

I'm in the live sound business. I hate to see this crap happening even once, let alone as a semi-regular thing.