Drum heads

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Kilroy
buyin' gear

Drum heads

Post by Kilroy » Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:36 am

hey, i had a question regarding drum heads. I was wondering where i could get some calf skin heads, and was wondering if any of you guys use em and like em. thanks

helstab
george martin

Re: Drum heads

Post by helstab » Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:43 am

MURDERER!!!
-Matthew Macchio$tab

Kilroy
buyin' gear

Post by Kilroy » Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:45 am

:shake:

nickB
audio school graduate

Post by nickB » Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:54 am

Sir, I will tell you this. You will hate them as soon as the barometer, humidity, or temperature changes. When you have them hung up in your studio drying them with a hairdryer. As soon as anything changes (sun goes up or down) the heads will either pitch themselves to the sky, or become so flappy that you can't even get ANY tension on them. Virtually worthless for recording as far as I'm concerned. I would reccomend using Remo's Fiberskyn line of drumheads. They will probably get you the results you are looking for, without all of the pain and suffering involved (for you, and the cows). Don't use cat-gut snares either. Hurts the cats, sounds shitty.

Nick Bertling
let's polish this turd

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Thu Jan 15, 2004 11:11 am

how classy

i love ol herb's calfskin head...

Last edited by wing on Thu Jan 15, 2004 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

helstab
george martin

Post by helstab » Thu Jan 15, 2004 11:11 am

almost as if they were alive! :shock:
-Matthew Macchio$tab

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu Jan 15, 2004 12:42 pm

If I'm not mistaken, he got that head from DJ Fontana, Elvis' original drummer.

Yeah, I'd go with either Remo's Fiberskyns or Renaissance heads. The Fiberskyns actually sound and feel a bit more like calf to me. The Renaissance heads are a bit darker. If you're not playing really loud music, check out the Fiberskyn "Diplomats" on toms. I say this having played calf heads before. I do have a calf snare head that I will use in certain situations, but that's almost never and I'd hate to have to deal with it all the time.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Thu Jan 15, 2004 1:03 pm

cgarges wrote:If I'm not mistaken, he got that head from DJ Fontana, Elvis' original drummer.
well, he probably just got a similar head later after having sold DJ his personal kit. See, as the story goes (you can find this on the pro-mark website)...

"Herb has one recollection about his early career as a music dealer that few can match. Early in 1954, a friend told him about a young singer who was performing in the area and causing quite a stir. His name was Elvis Presley. "I thought Elvis was just another country singer," says Herb. "But one day, a few months later, a pink Cadillac pulled up in front of my drum shop. Elvis and his drummer, D.J. Fontana, came in to buy a drumset. They didn't like any that I had on display, but they did like my personal set of Gretsch drums ... which happened to have a calfskin front head on the bass drum with the hair still on. So, I sold them that set, and didn't think any more about it." He continues, "A few months later, I saw a write-up in Life Magazine about Elvis' appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show and there was this two page photo showing Elvis, with D.J. playing my set of drums! By then Elvis was a big star-and maybe my drums helped him just a little bit! Oh, and D.J. still has that set of drums today!" "

Kilroy
buyin' gear

Post by Kilroy » Thu Jan 15, 2004 2:34 pm

cool, thanks for your guys' help. KNow any good places to buy em. Online perhaps?

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:41 pm

wing wrote:well, he probably just got a similar head later after having sold DJ his personal kit. See, as the story goes (you can find this on the pro-mark website)...
I'm hoping my first drum kit turns up on some TV show. That would mean that 12-piece single-headed royal blue drums are coming back.

Cool drum shops to order from? Waddell's in Pennsylvania. I assume the have a website. Great service, great stock. When it comes to drumheads, I don't give a shit about who's got the cheapest ones. I'll pay a few bucks for peace of mind.

Chris