singer can't sing

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

supafuzz
carpal tunnel

singer can't sing

Post by supafuzz » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:57 pm

what do you do in the situation where the singer should not be singing?
Never took lessons, smokes cigarettes, is over weight and unhealthy..but wrote the songs and doesn't want anyone else to sing them.

Yes I underrstand I can just keep taking the money [when he has it which is sporatic] But I like this guy and have already had a major conversation that his backup singer who has an amazing voice should sing all the songs.

The guy in question is a great guitar player and i think he should just stick to that...but ego ego ego is in the way.

I did come up with the idea that she sings one and he sings one and put it on facebook and just invite their friends to vote.....I already know what the outcome of that will be let's just hope he takes heed.

thanks
Super 70 Studio.. Never tell a perfectionist that the mix is perfect!

http://www.super70studio.com
http://www.facebook.com/Super70Studio

now in glorious HD3

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:40 pm

If he's happy let him be happy. Got to bring him down easy...

Depends on your relationship with him. My biggest client is great on drums, has usually cool production and song IDEAS but is not a great player or singer when it comes to any other instrument. I tell him how it is. He knows. If he wants to do it though...we'll just try to make the best.

Probably the best way to do it is just to A/B him with another great player though.

But you know, maybe he doesn't want anyone else to sing his songs? Put yourself in his shoes.

Maybe its not so much ego, more like...personally attached to his music? Wants to do it...for himself?

Osumosan
takin' a dinner break

Post by Osumosan » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:46 pm

You need to offer him a scenario where his ego is fulfilled. Tell him that his song craft will be presented in a better light if someone else sings it, and that makes his songs shine. Then he can bask in the glory of a magnificent rendering of his songwriting prowess. He'll be viewed as the genius behind the works and a master puppeteer of various musical talents, etc., etc.

Bro Shark
re-cappin' neve

Post by Bro Shark » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:09 pm

Depends if you've been hired to Produce, or Engineer.

Osumosan
takin' a dinner break

Post by Osumosan » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:30 pm

It sounded like a producer question to me.

dfuruta
re-cappin' neve

Post by dfuruta » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:36 pm

Maybe he likes his singing better. Nothing wrong with that.

What do cigarettes, weight & health have to do with it? Plenty of amazing fat, unhealthy singers (smokers, even!) out there...

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:11 pm

^^^^^^^ I tend to agree.
If there's not much chance of him being the next big thing (and honestly, what are the chances even for those that are doing everything right) let it be. There are lots of times when the "good singer" is the wrong choice. This may or may not be one of them but it's probably not you're call to make.
Where would we be if someone had convinvced Daniel Johnson or Lou Reed or Patty Smith or Shane McGowen or Mick Jones or Bob Dylan or Neil Young or Beck or ..................... that they couldn't sing their own songs.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Re: singer can't sing

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:27 pm

supafuzz wrote:what do you do in the situation where the singer should not be singing?
Never took lessons, smokes cigarettes, is over weight and unhealthy..but wrote the songs and doesn't want anyone else to sing them.

Yes I underrstand I can just keep taking the money [when he has it which is sporatic] But I like this guy and have already had a major conversation that his backup singer who has an amazing voice should sing all the songs.

The guy in question is a great guitar player and i think he should just stick to that...but ego ego ego is in the way.

I did come up with the idea that she sings one and he sings one and put it on facebook and just invite their friends to vote.....I already know what the outcome of that will be let's just hope he takes heed.

thanks
Hi supafuzz,

To echo some of the sentiment already expressed on here.

"what do you do in the situation where the singer should not be singing?"

And who exactly are you, to be making this statement? Are you the Producer? Is it Your Money being wasted on the project? If yes to the previous two questions, then absolutely you have the say as to who will sing the songs.

Oh... you're NOT the Producer? And it is NOT Your Money being spent? Then absolutely you have no say in who gets to sing the songs.

Your artist, who is the songwriter, AND is paying you to record his music, wants to sing on his records. Why are you even asking this question? Go out there and record the man to the best of your ability, and STHU about everything else.

Because, in this case, you are the Engineer, and not the Producer.

GET YOUR EGO THE HELL OUT OF THE MAN'S WAY.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:28 am

Let the fat man sing!

It ain't over until ...

:oops:

I agree with the aboves.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:13 am

sorry supafuzz, you come across like the jerk here. especially the out of shape comments. who gives a flying-crap-sandwich-on-a-stick, man!

there are plenty of average to terrible singers that write great songs and sing. I wouldn't call Neil Young a good signer, with that weird high pitches moan thing, but he does alright. what about Bob Dylan? monotone rants that rarely waver out of a one octave range. I guess it works. even to make a more current crappy pop-reference, Kesha, who I think us absolutely terrible and can't sign, has top 10 singles.

now.. if he is trying to sing out of his range, or totally mangling a falsetto, it wouldn't hurt to have him try several different takes. but ultimately, when he hears play back and is happy. mission accomplished. Nick is totally spot on. if you are not the producer...just engineer the record the way the client wants it.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:38 am

Lots of opinions here, and all make sense in their own way. But my stock answer is basically the same as Nick's-- if you are the Producer (as agreed upon by both you and the artist), then you have to fix it somehow; and that "somehow" is indeed the challenge of producing!

If you're the Engineer, well, take the money and make the best recording you can, because it's none of your concern. Certainly not beyond the sense that you've already tried to talk into him. Record what he puts out, because that's the interpretation of his songs that he wants.

GJ

PS-- One tip... See, the "Producer" would have done pre-production with the artist, known about the problem ahead of time, and had plans A, B, and C ready before the first session.

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:54 pm

Gregg Juke wrote:
PS-- One tip... See, the "Producer" would have done pre-production with the artist, known about the problem ahead of time, and had plans A, B, and C ready before the first session.
Ding ding ding ding ding.

Osumosan
takin' a dinner break

Post by Osumosan » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:04 pm

I agree that supafuzz hasn't been hired to be a producer, but I say the lines are blurrier than that. It's not black and white who's in artistic control during a session. Especially a good session, where everyone's contribution is as a team, a part of a whole. If a recordist sees a better way forward, then why not inject that. It's up to you what you think is appropriate as a button pusher or a full-on producer. Bravo for caring, is what I say, supafuzz. Maybe it will all work out for the best, but also remember that you don't have the last word, either.

The putting things to the vote on the internet, however, is a bad idea. I remember when Jethro Tull made an album that was predicated on focus groups' reactions. Seems backwards to me.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:59 pm

Osumosan wrote:It's not black and white who's in artistic control during a session.
If I'm paying for studio time and I'm not shelling out extra bucks specifically for a producer, then I'm damn well in artistic control of my sessions. It's pretty black and white to me and my checkbook.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Osumosan
takin' a dinner break

Post by Osumosan » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:26 am

That's fine, but some people need and/or expect a little guidance. What about the baby band who's in the studio for the first time? It's all a matter of degree and an engineer should be able to see those needs and step up if necessary.