darkwave/shoegaze UK/Europe vinyl release

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

chris harris
speech impediment

darkwave/shoegaze UK/Europe vinyl release

Post by chris harris » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:03 pm

My band, Depth & Current, is releasing our next record in the UK and Europe via the Club AC30 label. It's kind of an experiment in brevity. 8 songs averaging about a minute and a half each, released on heavyweight frosted clear 7" vinyl. Release date is March 25. It's a "full length" record for a modern attention span.

Obviously a bit gimmicky... but, it was a fun experiment and it taught us a lot about who we are as people and as a band. It will definitely help to improve our songs and our process moving forward.

Here's the first song that's been getting some spins on BBC 6Music:

https://soundcloud.com/club-ac30/youre-alive

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:35 am

Video premier was today on Clash Music Magazine: http://www.clashmusic.com/news/track-of ... th-current

And, the record is now available for pre-order on Club AC30: http://store.clubac30.com/products/5119 ... -transient

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:26 am

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:15 am

cool. I'll take a listen on my headphones at lunch today.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:23 am

The UK vinyl looks killer!

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:53 am

Looks and sounds cool, Chris. Brevity indeed!

Let us know how the vinyl sales go. Also, where did you get it pressed? Over here, or in the UK?

GJ

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:41 am

Thanks!

The label pressed the records in the UK. I'm not sure who they used. I should have some copies here in the States soon. I'll be able to comment more on the quality of the pressing once I've received my copies.

Even though the songs are quite short, we still had to sacrifice some overall volume to fit it on a 7". There's some pretty extreme distortion in the songs, so we chose lower volume cut at 45 vs. a 33 cut that might crap out with the distortion.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:05 am

Sounds wise. Did you get any input into that end (production run) of things? BTW, when are they going to get you guys up on their roster page?

GJ

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:16 am

Oh yeah, pretty much all of the decisions were ours. We did artwork. We chose vinyl color. We worked with the manufacturer making decisions about the cut. The only part we were really left out of was approving the test pressing. And, that was just because of the time crunch.

As of right now, our deal with Club AC30 is just a one off deal. The label has expressed interest in doing more releases with us, though. I assume that at some point, if everything goes smoothly, we'll consider signing a more comprehensive deal with them and actually becoming a part of their roster.

Both the band and the label are looking at this short-run release as a sort of "how do you do" introduction to a UK audience.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:46 pm

Cool Chris. Sounds like a good deal. Keep us informed on the vinyl tip (I'm thinking of taking the plunge on the next release in one form or another-- EP or single to accompany CD/digital release album or something).

GJ