best mix position in odd shaped room?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

groover
gettin' sounds

best mix position in odd shaped room?

Post by groover » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:41 pm

I have a room that is more or less L shaped, in that it has a large opening into a foyer on one end. (see below) The dimensions are approx 17ft x 14ft. There is a beam across the narrow dimension that divides the ceiling. The ceiling is approx 8ft on one side and slopes on the other side.

I have had my mix position firing across the narrow dimension of the room, that position was recommeded to me by a tech who was helping me at the time, probably to achieve symmetrical reflections from the sides.

I am considering moving the mix position to either one end of the room or the other. Alternative 1 below takes advantage of the slope of the ceiling, and I could add a false ceiling (shown in lavender) to the other side of the room, but presents a challenge of dealing with the asymmetry of the side reflections. Nevertheless it is my instinctive preference.

Alternative 2 would offer more symmetrical side reflections, but I think the slope of the ceiling would be working against me.

I do plan on adding room treatment panels, etc. and perhaps could deal with the asymmetry that way.

Thoughs?

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:20 pm

If this was a poll, I'd vote for number 1, but since it's not, I reckon I still will. :twisted:

I'm not sure about the ceiling, wondering if mebbe just a cloud on the left might be enuff.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

groover
gettin' sounds

Post by groover » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:31 pm

Thanks! Do you mean alternative 1, or the current setup?

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:45 pm

I think I like alternative #2 (the 3rd one)
I'ts more open behind. Critical stuff is out of the way.
symmetry good at the listening spot.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:24 pm

Yes.

I mean, "alternative 1".

My problem with the "current" is that the room seems inefficiently used, and the ceiling might/could be weird there.

My problem with "alternative 2" is I suspect the closet wall may vibrate a little differently/more than the opposite wall (even with the window in it), and the space is narrower and thus tighter, and the window behind might have to be blocked, altho' roscoenyc makes fair points.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

GIK Acoustics
pluggin' in mics

Post by GIK Acoustics » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:45 pm

Yes, you have a quite common problem in most of these setups.

In the first diagram, your ceiling prevents you from having an equal stereo image. In the second diagram, your low frequency and high frequency symmetry are off. In the third, your low frequency symmetry is off, but your high frequency symmetry isn't off.

Though none of them are excellent choices, I would stay where you're currently at (though it doesn't look like you're exactly centered, which I would suggest).
Treating the ceiling above should help remove most of the stereo imbalance caused by the ceiling.

In any of the orientations, I would definitely recommend treating the room to get rid of modal resonances, treat the first reflections, and preferably the wall behind you. Given these, your current position definitely seems best to get all of that taken care of.
Last edited by GIK Acoustics on Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alexander Reynolds
GIK Acoustics USA | (770) 986 2789
GIK Acoustics Europe | +44 (0) 20 7558 8976 (UK)

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:00 am

I vote for testing.

Is that a window on the right most wall? They can be a nightmare, or can help with reflectivity.

Also, when mixing, I HIGHLY recommend choosing one or two calibrated levels, I use 72 dB and 82 dB (the optimal), and do not deviate from that during mixing.

Your testing should be done with 82 dB level at the mix position. Place your measuring microphone right where your head is during mixing for the tests, to set your 82 dB listening level, and then measure the room using only that level.

If you use different levels during measurement, you will never finish, and never get anything meaningful out of the tests.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

groover
gettin' sounds

Post by groover » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:47 am

Yes that is a window on the right. Thanks for the replies so far!

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:14 pm

I would chooses "alternate 2" but completely cover that 1/3rd of the room with bass trapping material, including clouds on the ceiling.

groover
gettin' sounds

Post by groover » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:01 pm

Treating the inner sliding closet door might be a challenge.

groover
gettin' sounds

Post by groover » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:05 pm

Nick Sevilla wrote:Also, when mixing, I HIGHLY recommend choosing one or two calibrated levels, I use 72 dB and 82 dB (the optimal), and do not deviate from that during mixing.

Your testing should be done with 82 dB level at the mix position. Place your measuring microphone right where your head is during mixing for the tests, to set your 82 dB listening level, and then measure the room using only that level.
What reference signal do you use to set your 82dB point? 1kHz sine wave? Pink noise? White noise? Other?

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:06 pm

groover wrote:
Nick Sevilla wrote:Also, when mixing, I HIGHLY recommend choosing one or two calibrated levels, I use 72 dB and 82 dB (the optimal), and do not deviate from that during mixing.

What reference signal do you use to set your 82dB point? 1kHz sine wave? Pink noise? White noise? Other?
White noise, and also check the sine wave, although the sine will probably be affected by any room modes if I'm unlucky enough to be standing in one related to that frequency. I also check with program material.

Cheers

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:06 pm

groover wrote:

White noise, and also check the sine wave, although the sine will probably be affected by any room modes if I'm unlucky enough to be standing in one related to that frequency. I also check with program material.

Cheers

GIK Acoustics
pluggin' in mics

Post by GIK Acoustics » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:13 pm

As another poster above suggested..
If you've got a microphone handy, download REW (its free) and take measurements at each of the locations to really decide the best setup (I would base it off how the low end looks - the high end s much easier to treat properly)
You can check out the following video that explains how to set up and start using REW for measurements: http://gikacoustics.com/room-eq-wizard-tutorial/
Alexander Reynolds
GIK Acoustics USA | (770) 986 2789
GIK Acoustics Europe | +44 (0) 20 7558 8976 (UK)

groover
gettin' sounds

Post by groover » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:29 pm

Any leads on an "affordable" mic to use for room measurements?

I have two omni mics available: a Pearlman dp1 with a cardioid-omni switch, and a modded Oktava MK-012 with an omni capsule. I have doubts as to how flat either of them are.