RegisterRegister
FAQ  -  SEARCH  -  MEMBERS  -  FAVORITES  -  PROFILE
mind f***ing the listener article

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> Tape Op Magazine
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ricercar.record
gimme a little kick & snare

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:44 pm    Post subject: mind f***ing the listener article Reply with quote

one of the very first tape op magazines I ever read had this article in it that is still stuck in my head and will never get out... and is one of the many reasons why I love the magazine so much and still read every new issue the day it comes in the mail. It was something to do with the process of mixing and i think how to figure out what you're wanting to achieve with your mixes. Maybe not .... but I do have a faint rememberance of one line that I thought was absolutely brilliant, and it read something like this ...... "our job as audio engineers/mixers is to constantly mind fuck the listener into hearing what we want them to hear". I thought it was in an end rant somewhere but have searched through my magazines and can't for the life of me find it. I NEED to read this article again, If anyone can find out what exact article this is from I will love you for it. thanks.
honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: mind f***ing the listener article Reply with quote

yeah, I seem to remember that line too. Can't remember what issue it was.

Seems like I read something similar in someone's signature around here or I don't know where, but something to the effect of: "All albums have both awesome sounds and shitty sounds. The idea is to highlight the awesome in a way that distracts the listener from the shitty."
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> Tape Op Magazine All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: