"can you send me the stems?"

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Tue May 20, 2014 10:55 pm

Dunk wrote:I was going to start a new topic but i suppose it's best in here.

when bouncing stems what do you bounce?

The project i'm working on at the moment has 36 track and about 8 busses.

Should i bounce all the tracks and the busses or just the busses and the tracks that aren't bussed?

hope that makes sense
Hi,

This is what I have been doing for a while now:

I bounce the following, into separate Stereo tracks, INCLUDING reverbs /delays and overall effects, Master buss effects, automation, mutes, panning, etc, everything as it is in the final mix.

Drums
Bass
Keyboards
Guitars
Backing Vocals
Lead Vocal.

IF there is a specific request during the time I am going to make the Stems, I do it then. Otherwise they are as above.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

analogika
gettin' sounds

Post by analogika » Wed May 21, 2014 12:05 am

Really dumb question: That still doesn't allow full reconstruction of the mix, does it?

Theoretically, there will still be sidechaining, or master-buss compression, or effects summing with compression etc., left unaccounted for, right?

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Fri May 23, 2014 10:07 pm

analogika wrote:Really dumb question: That still doesn't allow full reconstruction of the mix, does it?

Theoretically, there will still be sidechaining, or master-buss compression, or effects summing with compression etc., left unaccounted for, right?
If you are going to use my mix, then use my mix. It wil not need "reconstruction". I have yet to see someone want to remix something so it is identical to a previous mix. Usually it is done so it ends up being a BETTER mix than the old one.

BTW I always print instrumentals, TV mixes, and if needed, a capellas (never had to so far).
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.