Echo Audiofire 12 Confusion

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vivalastblues
steve albini likes it

Echo Audiofire 12 Confusion

Post by vivalastblues » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:28 am

Okay so I've recently picked up an Audiofire, coming from a previous interface that had a dedicated headphone out and so on.

I run Logic, and I can't seem to figure out a smooth and simple way to get a headphone out.

At the moment, I'm doing this:

Output 3 on the Echo > Behringer Headphone amp (only running channel 3, this might explain why it's mono but that's another issue)

then in Logic, I go:

All Channels > Bus > Output 3/4

I can't figure out a less complicated way of doing this. I don't want to have to set up an entire bus which then goes to another master output every single time I want to plug headphones in. Any help much appreciated.

While I'm on the topic, does anyone have a good way of setting up talkback in Logic? (with an Audiofire)

thanks!

curtiswyant
re-cappin' neve

Post by curtiswyant » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:30 am

I control monitoring through the audiofire console. Select a tab for a pair of outputs then mute/unmute/pan each channel as appropriate. I haven't found a way to do this in my DAW (Reaper or Nuendo) that didn't delay the headphone signal or cause other issues.

Bro Shark
re-cappin' neve

Post by Bro Shark » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:07 am

Isn't this thing more along the lines of a tape deck? Seems like the ideal use of the 12 (or two 12s) would be with a console. They make the 8 and Pre8 boxes that are more traditional DAW interfaces, with dedicated headphone out, front panel inputs, etc.

vivalastblues
steve albini likes it

Post by vivalastblues » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:46 pm

curtiswyant wrote:I control monitoring through the audiofire console. Select a tab for a pair of outputs then mute/unmute/pan each channel as appropriate. I haven't found a way to do this in my DAW (Reaper or Nuendo) that didn't delay the headphone signal or cause other issues.
Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a way to actually hear what's coming out of Logic without setting up a bus that then goes to a master out. I can hear output 1-2 but not 3-4 without doing this.

It also seems like it's impossible to then use headphones in any other software. Like for example if I want to listen to music say through a web browser on headphones, I can't without switching the output on the cable...

curtiswyant
re-cappin' neve

Post by curtiswyant » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:57 pm

vivalastblues wrote:Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a way to actually hear what's coming out of Logic without setting up a bus that then goes to a master out. I can hear output 1-2 but not 3-4 without doing this.

It also seems like it's impossible to then use headphones in any other software. Like for example if I want to listen to music say through a web browser on headphones, I can't without switching the output on the cable...
Yeah, I gave up and use an external line mixer.
You can't output music from two different sources through the same outputs with the audiofire.

vivalastblues
steve albini likes it

Post by vivalastblues » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:10 pm

Yeah fair enough. I might have to do the same. Just out of interest, what do you use?

curtiswyant
re-cappin' neve

Post by curtiswyant » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:47 am

i have a roland m120. very nice piece.