my new favorite polymeter

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:09 pm

Bro Shark wrote:
ubertar wrote:See what I mean about the swing feel? I like how the 3 smooths out the 7-- it doesn't have that jerky, angular quality odd meters can have. I don't know why polymeters aren't more prevalent in Western music... they pretty much compel you to move your body, but are a lot more interesting than the HERE'S THE BEAT kind of stuff that's common in pop/dance music.
http://animalsasleaders.bandcamp.com/tr ... -incidents
Awesome. Thanks.

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:40 am

This one has some 7 against 3 in it, too:
http://animalsasleaders.bandcamp.com/tr ... pting-time

There's so much cool stuff going on in the Animals as Leaders stuff. I just wish there wasn't so much of the Satriani/Vai/Metheny sound and style in there on some of the songs. That's probably a poor description, but hopefully people will get what I mean. In other songs, I hear more of a Howe/Lifeson influence, but with modern metal timbres. I like the drumming, but not the drum sounds so much. Hopefully these guys will inspire more people to use polymetric rhythms. It's definitely fertile ground for exploration; while there are only so many low-number polymeters, there are endless combinations of polymetric rhythms. And also, there's no reason to stop at two meters at once. Three or four can be interesting if done well, too.

Bro Shark
re-cappin' neve

Post by Bro Shark » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:26 am

I hear you. I love their stuff. It sparkles and moves in such interesting ways. They've leaned heavily on sampled drum sounds before, but they're more of a 'band' now (started as a 'project') so hopefully going forward things will move towards a more organic sound.

Their particular approach to polymeter is a direct descendent of the Meshuggah approach. But it's so cool to hear that riff style juxtaposed against actual melody/harmony, and without all the shouting. And it still crushes.

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:30 am

Yeah, I need to listen to more Meshuggah. (That name cracks me up everytime). I'm more of a hard rock guy (among other things), not really a metalhead, but there's definitely stuff in that world worth checking out.

A.David.MacKinnon

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:28 pm

I'm often not so good with the counting but I think this song is doing what you are talking about -
http://adavidmackinnon.bandcamp.com/tra ... gn-country

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:51 pm

Hey, that "Animals..." stuff is pretty wild, but I like it. It reminds me a bit of some stuff Steve Stevens did with Terry Bozzio and Tony Levin some years ago.

A. David-- I like your track too. "Good with the counting" or no, very nice. Plus, I liked reminiscing about the Fembots, which to me, were those chicks that used to fight with Lindsay Wagner (man, I really dug Lindsay Wagner)...

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:39 pm

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:I'm often not so good with the counting but I think this song is doing what you are talking about -
http://adavidmackinnon.bandcamp.com/tra ... gn-country
I'm hearing a swing 7 (and a very cool song) but if there's a polymeter there, I'm not hearing it. I'm very much digging the music, though.

A.David.MacKinnon

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:02 pm

I did say that I wasn't great with the counting.

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:50 pm

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:I did say that I wasn't great with the counting.
Good enough to play the song well. That's what matters.

Bro Shark
re-cappin' neve

Post by Bro Shark » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:50 am