Another Control Room Setup Question.....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

LowG
alignin' 24-trk

Another Control Room Setup Question.....

Post by LowG » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:14 pm

In essence:
1) I'd like to know if the diffusion I have is useful in a control room such as I have, or if I should concentrate on absorption instead.

2) Is it more useful for me to place absorption behind the speakers or on the back wall, assuming diffusion is not to be used in this space.

In detail:
Room = 14.25'(l) x 8.5'(w) x 9'(h)
Doors and window not to scale, walls are to scale.

I own:
(3) 4?x2?x1? rigid fiberglass panels
(2) 4?x4?x1? rigid fiberglass panels
(4) 4?x2?x5.5? GIK 244 bass traps
(4) 2?x2?x5.5" Auralex T?Fusor plastic diffusers
(6) 1?x1?x5? Auralex MiniFusor plastic diffusers

The stuff I have is kind of "hodge-podge" since most of it came in a big used lot from a craigslist posting along with more stuff I'm using in another room.

I have the 4?x2? panels hung 3" off the wall on either side of the listening position at the first reflection point, and a 4?x4? panel hung above as a ?cloud? at that reflection point (~3" off the ceiling). I have the other 4?x4? panel hung as a ?cloud? over the north side of the room. I have 2 bass traps straddling the corners behind the speakers hanging vertically and flush to the ceiling, and the other 2 bass traps straddling the other ceiling corners hanging horizontally (since the door is in the way for vertical hanging).

I?m wondering what to do with the diffusion and the remaining 4?x2? panel. My first thought is to use the diffusion on the North wall, behind the listening position, and place the remaining 4?x2? panel opposite the windows. Or would the 4?x2? panel be better placed on the South wall between the speakers, or instead of the diffusion on the North wall?

I know I should try stuff, listen, measure, etc., but I'm looking for a head start from the experts!

Thanks!

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:20 pm

Since nobody else has answered, I'll say that-- your last sentence sums it up.

You've got to try stuff out, and if you want to get scientific, you've got to take measurements and try and identify which freqs you have to deal with first.
But, in my humble experience and opinion, back wall behind mix position, wall behind speakers, and sidewalls to the right and left of mix position are all important. I'd deal with absorption first, then use the diffusers to "fill in."

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:25 am

Diffusion can work in a room that small. If it were my room, I'd use diffusion toward the rear of the room, but not at the direct reflection points on the back wall -- absorption thick enough to absorb bass is better there I think, in a small room like yours.

In other words, bass traps in the corners, 1" panels at reflection points on side walls and ceiling, thick absorbers on the rear wall. Diffusors on big wide reflective surfaces to tame flutter echo.

http://realtraps.com/art_basics.htm
http://www.realtraps.com/video_diffusors.htm

LowG
alignin' 24-trk

Post by LowG » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:46 pm

Thanks for the comments.

Maybe I'll first try to spread the diffusors across from the window and among the ceiling toward the North side of the room, then take your idea of keeping the rear wall absorbing.

Only problem is that I don't have any more thick absorbers (only the bass traps currently in the corners). I'll see how things go with the 4'x4'x1" panel hung somewhat off the wall.

Thanks again!

jhbrandt
alignin' 24-trk

Post by jhbrandt » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:43 am

LowG,

Your room is only about 1100 cubic feet in volume and it will require LOTS of trapping. You need to try to get the RT-60 to 0.17 Seconds average. - This is for optimum mixing results and usability.

The dimensions also do not support good modal distribution and unless your walls are single layer drywall (1/2"), you will have problems below 63 Hz.

Diffusors are good at a distance. If you place them where they will be at least equal to the distance of the low frequency limit of the diffusor, they will work. Closer than that, they will act like a flat wall.

I have a tab on my Reflections Boundaries Mass calculator called 'Diffusors & Poly Distance Calc'. You can download it from my publications page. I hope this helps.

Cheers,
John
John H. Brandt - Recording Studio, Performance Hall & Architectural Acoustics Consultants
http://www.jhbrandt.net

"Twenty thousand dollars worth of Snap-On tools does not make you a Professional Diesel Mechanic"

GIK Acoustics
pluggin' in mics

Post by GIK Acoustics » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:15 am

LowG, I wish I saw this thread earlier!
Since you've got GIK products, even if they were purchased second hand you can feel free to give us a shout on questions about placement for everything you've got (even the T-Fusors and products that aren't ours) and we'd be happy to help! Send me a direct e-mail at alex.r@gikacoustics dot com and I'd be happy to help you out with your room products.
Of course you've been given great advice above already, and would agree with the suggestions made here. Given that you've got a pretty decent distance behind you the diffusors might be fine directly behind you. Unfortunately Auralex does not publish tested nor calculated performance of their diffusors so it's difficult to know whether you will be the minimum distance away from them to get the full benefit of that placement.
Alexander Reynolds
GIK Acoustics USA | (770) 986 2789
GIK Acoustics Europe | +44 (0) 20 7558 8976 (UK)