Treating kitchen ceiling for absorption?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Treating kitchen ceiling for absorption?

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:09 am

Hey,

Please forgive the non-recording nature of this post. I've been wanting to ask this for a long time and figured I'd finally do it.

My daughter is incredibly sensitive to sound. The kitchen in particular hurts her ears. Does anyone know of a ceiling product that would work in a kitchen? (I'm thinking, basically, it needs to be washable, impermeable to moisture and grease and fire resistant.) I'd like to remove some or all of the sheetrock ceiling, stuff the joists with pink stuff and then put some sort of tile, or 4'x8' material back up in place of the sheetrock and just generally take the edge off the high end reflections. But the broader band the better, I suppose. I don't want to do a drop ceiling, this house doesn't have very high ceilings to begin with and I just hate drop ceilings, for some reason.

I've tried googling this, but I'm not coming up with anything that looks for sure like it would work in a kitchen, or even just work in terms of absorption, period. I'm thinking I'd probably treat her bedroom, too, with whatever works in the kitchen. Which could result in a recording-related use, since I did buy her a four track this year. Even though she hasn't used it yet.

Thanks so much,

(Mods, please delete (and/or ban me for life) if this is deemed too OT.)
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Re: Treating kitchen ceiling for absorption?

Post by roscoenyc » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:10 pm

Snarl 12/8 wrote:Hey,

Please forgive the non-recording nature of this post. I've been wanting to ask this for a long time and figured I'd finally do it.

My daughter is incredibly sensitive to sound. The kitchen in particular hurts her ears. Does anyone know of a ceiling product that would work in a kitchen? (I'm thinking, basically, it needs to be washable, impermeable to moisture and grease and fire resistant.) I'd like to remove some or all of the sheetrock ceiling, stuff the joists with pink stuff and then put some sort of tile, or 4'x8' material back up in place of the sheetrock and just generally take the edge off the high end reflections. But the broader band the better, I suppose. I don't want to do a drop ceiling, this house doesn't have very high ceilings to begin with and I just hate drop ceilings, for some reason.

I've tried googling this, but I'm not coming up with anything that looks for sure like it would work in a kitchen, or even just work in terms of absorption, period. I'm thinking I'd probably treat her bedroom, too, with whatever works in the kitchen. Which could result in a recording-related use, since I did buy her a four track this year. Even though she hasn't used it yet.

Thanks so much,

(Mods, please delete (and/or ban me for life) if this is deemed too OT.)
I would think anything that was porous or absorption based would retain cooking grease/smells?

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:07 pm

For commercial kitchens, health rules dictate hard, nonporous, cleanable surfaces for the ceiling.

Some friends ran a coffeeshop in a commercial storefront space with a standard drop ceiling, and they couldn't have as much as a toaster oven behind the counter unless they had a hard ceiling over it.

That said, there are nonporous drop ceiling tiles made for exactly that application...they're a hard plastic, maybe 3/16" thick. You could install them, and unroll fiberglass batt on top of them to add some absorption.
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:24 pm

Searching "nonporous" is yielding a few things. Thanks scum. It looks like someone has figured out how to cut OC703 very carefully into squares and market it as ceiling tile...

http://www.acousticalsolutions.com/ther ... ling-tiles

Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

jhbrandt
alignin' 24-trk

Post by jhbrandt » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:22 pm

That is actually an Armstrong ceiling tile. That's what I would recommend. There are many similar products by other companies as well.

I recommend that you install a dropped ceiling grid with acoustic tiles. For additional absorption, you can lay R13 insulation above the tiles.

That will get you what you need.

Cheers,
John
John H. Brandt - Recording Studio, Performance Hall & Architectural Acoustics Consultants
http://www.jhbrandt.net

"Twenty thousand dollars worth of Snap-On tools does not make you a Professional Diesel Mechanic"