OS 9 and/or OS 10

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
dawgshop
audio school

OS 9 and/or OS 10

Post by dawgshop » Tue Jun 03, 2003 5:58 pm

I would like to keep using my ProTools on OS 9, but I have a program (Final Scratch) that requires OS 10. Should I partition my drive and make one side OS 9 and the other OS 10? Or just keep both operating systems on one drive and pick whichever one I need upon startup? Any ideas?

JES
tinnitus

Re: OS 9 and/or OS 10

Post by JES » Wed Jun 04, 2003 7:32 am

Partitioning sounds fine. If you've got a newer mac, it's already done for you (I got a dual gig last summer and it's already partitioned).

That said, I like to think of my audio software as an integrated system. I use Digital Performer in OS 9.2.2. It's available in X, but I'm not moving until all my favorite plugs are available in X AND I see from the DP user forums that people are getting everything to play well together. Right now, there are all sorts of problems.

Just a thought. Seems like all the glossy mags have their little "upgrade now to OSX" article and that's lovely except that my system actually works right now, so why mess it up?

Best,
--JES

trashy
dead but not forgotten

Post by trashy » Wed Jun 04, 2003 8:31 am

I use both 9 and X, on two partitions, and I love it. I use X for everything, except audio junk. If you want to switch from one to another, just select your startup disk and away you go. I can't wait to be totally free from OS 9, but until that day...
What is Final Scratch anyway? I'd love to start getting more OS X music/audio stuff.

Rick Hunter
dead but not forgotten

Post by Rick Hunter » Wed Jun 04, 2003 11:16 am

I just bought DP4 for OSX and so far I am very impressed. I dont really have any other plug ins than the stock ones so that wasn't a problem. I was a little worried about converting my free midi to Core midi, but evan that wasn 't a big deal.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Jun 04, 2003 7:11 pm

I love OSX, and just got a PT HD3 rig going at the studio in os9, and it shipped with PT6 for OSX. I really want to get this rolling. I am just waiting to hear more stories of woe/ happiness.

I think OSX is the best thing to happen to apple since the mac, so I will be swapping soon, and never looking back. (except on my 7600, my mac iicx, and my atari 1040...)

pscottm
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by pscottm » Wed Jun 04, 2003 7:11 pm

i run 2 partitions as well. i'd advise doing that if you're just getting set up. i'm mostly using X these days w logic, peak and max/msp and rarely switch over to 9 except to use pluggo when i need to. anyway, your 9 will stay cleaner when it's on a seperate partition from X. apparently X can leave its fingerprint on some things in 9 otherwise..
also, if you have an external firewire drive check out carbon copy cloner. once you have a bootable X volume on your machine, ccc can clone it to another drive (apps, permissions and all) which can then be booted from most any mac w firewire. very handy! i mention this because the remote-X-boot thing won't work if your original X boot volume had 9 on it too. just another thought..
psm