Apogee Ensemble - not recognizing firewire - any ideas?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

lawson
audio school graduate

Apogee Ensemble - not recognizing firewire - any ideas?

Post by lawson » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:02 am

I have a steady green light on my ensemble... have tried every conceivable thing. might just have to ship across the country. just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience?

thanks,
L

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:35 am

It could be the FireWire port on either the Apogee, or the computer.

The more you plug/unplug stuff "live" the shorter the lifespan of the FireWire port chips.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

fnps90
gimme a little kick & snare

Reset the Ensemble and other Troubleshooting Steps

Post by fnps90 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:04 pm

Hi,

I am no expert, but one thing I would do is to do a hard reset. It will basically restore the unit back to the factory settings like when it came out of the box new.

# 1 Power Off the Ensemble
# 2 Remove The Firewire Cable from the back of the Ensemble and computer.
# 3 With the Unit Off, Push in the 1st Encoder Silver Knob on the Left
# 4 Hold Left Silver Knob Pushed in with your other hand Push the startup button
# 5 Do not release the Silver Knob until the Unit is fully booted back uo and on.
# 6 After Fully booted Turn Off the Ensemble.
# 7 Make Sure Both Computer and Ensemble are Turned Off
# 8 Plug the Firewire Cable back into Ensemble and Computer
# 9 Turn the Ensemble ON
#10 Turn the Computer ON after the Ensemble is Fully on

At this Point, the Ensemble is Restored to original factory setting. If something goit jumbled up electronically, it should be cleared now. After the Computer Starts up, go to the Audio Setting under System Preferences. You should see the Ensemble Listed as an Input and Output Audio Device.

If you do Not see it listed:

#1 You need to test the Computers Firewire Jack with another Firewire device like a Hard drive etc. You may also want to try another Firewire Cable. Your Last shot, it there are 2 Firewire Jacks on the back of the Ensemble. Try the other Firewire Jack.
If the Computer and Firewire Cable Check out OK. And if neither Firewire Jack works on the Back of the Ensemble, then Something is wrong with your Ensemble.

I didn't mention this and should have 1st, but this is a Given. Make Sure that you have NOTHING plugged into the Second Jack of the Ensemble and also make sure there in Nothing plugged into your Computers other Firewire Port. Last but not least, Make Sure that you are Running the Correct Software for your Ensemble. If you have another Mac, or a friend has one. Install Maestro Software on the different computer and see if the Ensemble appears on the other computer.

Also, the Ensemble is Hot Pluggable. If you have tried all of the Above, with the Ensemble plugged in to the Computer and BOTH ON. Remove the Firewire Cable WHILE They are both on. Wait 3 Seconds and Plug it back it in. Good Luck!

steve