Replacement software for Peak 6

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

samgraysound
audio school

Replacement software for Peak 6

Post by samgraysound » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:12 pm

Hi Everyone,

We use Peak 6 as an audio editor, batch processor, and for simple mono and stereo recordings (usually digitizing 2 trk tapes, cassettes etc.). It's always been glitchy and now with Bias out of business I'm looking to replace it with something less awful.

Any suggestions? Needs to run on Mac OS 10.7
Sam Gray
Studio Manager, Dub Narcotic Studio
http://www.dubnarcotic.com

crow
steve albini likes it

Post by crow » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:54 pm

Audacity is free/open-source, so it's worth a shot. If that doesn't cut it, Reaper's inexpensive and has waaaaay more features than you need, but is so customizable that you could easily bend it to perform your exact workflow in a streamlined manner.

numberthirty
steve albini likes it

Post by numberthirty » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:22 pm

If we're talking less awful and mac friendly, I'd look into Reaper.

crow
steve albini likes it

Post by crow » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:46 am

It's numberthirty and crow, the TOMB Reaper street team!

We don't work for the Reaper developers, but we sure recommend it a lot. Fantastic software.

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:04 am

I'm in the same boat. Does Reaper have a mono/stereo editor environment that can (A) run 3rd party plug-ins such as Izotope, WAVES, etc, and (B) enable RedBook CD burning from within? Because if so, I'll definitely jump in and check it out. I use a combination of Digital Performer and Peak for Mastering, and though I only use Peak for micro-edits and dithering, I also use it for Redbook burning since Jam went the way of the Dodo.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

crow
steve albini likes it

Post by crow » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:57 am

It doesn't have a destructive editor, but it can edit and render files, if that makes sense. As far as redbook cd burning, yes with the asterisk that some of the possible pro mastering functionality is made possible by community-based extensions and macros. Which IMHO underscores reaper's awesomeness: it does most anything that any other daw does out of the box, and if you're willing to mess with it, you can configure it to be just right for your workflow, and a lot of tweaks you might want have already been shared by the awesome user community.

crow
steve albini likes it

Post by crow » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:58 am

Oh, and vst plugs are its preferred flavor, and AAC if you're Mac.

WillMorgan
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by WillMorgan » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:22 pm

I believe DSP Quattro pro is a good, reasonably priced program that does most or all the above and they have a deal for Bias Peak owners..

http://www.dsp-quattro.com/

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:07 am

WillMorgan wrote:I believe DSP Quattro pro is a good, reasonably priced program that does most or all the above and they have a deal for Bias Peak owners..

http://www.dsp-quattro.com/
Perfect. I totally forgot about DSP Quattro. Thanks for posting this. $50 seems like a steal. Going to investigate.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

numberthirty
steve albini likes it

Post by numberthirty » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:10 pm

crow wrote:It's numberthirty and crow, the TOMB Reaper street team!

We don't work for the Reaper developers, but we sure recommend it a lot. Fantastic software.
It's worth noting that sometime TOMB/regular EA member Japmn is also a pretty solid pitch man -
japmn wrote:Unless you need it to be really portable I'd just get a basic interface and Reaper (free to try forever) and use your computer. The learning curve is probably less steep than those all in one units plus the interwebs are full of forums to assist any questions you would have.

It will be way more flexible and useful in the long run and you can keep adding i/o and other junk as you need it.
japmn wrote:YES! I got tired of the PT-LE crashing at work a couple of years back and installed Reaper an instructed everyone to use it instead of "Pro"Tools. The 002 works great with Reaper, at least it does on a HP laptop running XP. Flawless so far, and as i said, it has been a couple of years.
It's good to hear folks found a match.

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

Something truly less awful

Post by alexdingley » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:49 pm

Hey there,

I think I've posted about this in another similar thread before, but I'm a huge fan of i3 software's DSP Quattro 4. A long time ago when I worked for IK Multimedia, these guys gave me an NFR of version 1.5 or something... I used it for years on that free license, but was only using for stereo sample editing (since I used to make samples for living)... and recently, when Apple stopped support for WaveBurner (if you still have it, it still works, but they stopped development, and you can't buy it... so I presume it will eventually stop being compliant with future Mac OS versions) I started looking for an App that could do the stereo editing & CD authoring. The newest version of DSP Quattro has a free demo... so I tried it, and it's totally solid. And cheap! So I finally bought my own license in 2012.

Go check it out and see if you dig it.

Mike's Mix Room
audio school graduate

Post by Mike's Mix Room » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:11 am

I use DSP Quattro for digital master assembly and it works great! When using Ver. 3, I experienced a weird bug when creating DDPs but ver 4 has been excellent and solid. It's very easy to use. It kind of reminds me of the old Waveburner software, which I loved.

DSP Quattro is highly recommended. Plus their support is top notch!

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:23 pm

wavelab is a killer editor. its great for mastering as well, and can do simple recording. very stable. takes plugins beautifully.