Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

kbucks
audio school graduate

Clicking and Popping in audio signal

Post by kbucks » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:54 am

Firstly....I have read this article
Kill Studio Hum and Buzz at the Source
and will be taking some steps suggested here.

I suppose I'd like to know if anyone else has had this issue.

I've got my gear set up in the basement. I noticed, when using some DI's that there was a very audible clicking sound coming through guitar cable. I unplugged everything, leaving just the mixer and a line in to listen for these clicks (to make sure it wasn't another element the mix...computer, monitors, etc.). I would describe them as clicks/pops in intervals of 3 or 5 , over and over. I plugged the mixer into several different outlets in the basement........same thing. I also plugged a mic in via xlr and the clicks are there, although I have to turn the gain way up to hear them.

Our kitchen is newer, so I brought the mixer upstairs and tested. One outlet is "open" and the other two are grounded. Clicks are there, but a bit quieter.

I figure this problem could be one of two things (maybe both!).
RFI or electric. There's a utilitly pole in in the alley behind our our backyard.
I am not aware of RFT manifesting itself as these steady intervals....I assumed more buzz, static or radio signal. Winer attributes this type of RFI to electric motors. I have no idea what electric motors exist in this house! Any ideas?

Its hard to know exactly what is on the various circuits that power the basement outlets. I just had a friend over and we tracked some things down. No major appliances...just lights and, yes, a few dimmer switches. The bad kind, which I will replace. However, I've turned all the lights off and the clicks remain.

I suppose I should try getting a dedicated line for my "studio" outlets.
Anyone with a similar experience wanna weigh in?

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:19 pm

can you try the same equipment at someone else's place? that would at least rule out any equipment issues (such as a bad power supply on the mixer). you may have to try a power conditioner (with good filtering) or talk with your electric company and or favorite electrician...

Mike
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:40 am

You didn't have a cell phone in your pocket the whole time, did you?
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

kbucks
audio school graduate

Post by kbucks » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:44 pm

Cell phones off as well as wireless router and modem.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:33 pm

Does the board have Phantom Power, and was it on?

Is there any way you could record and post the clicking sound for us?

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:22 pm

I had a similar problem once. We traced it to the refrigerator. Unplugged it, and the pops went away.

Not saying this is a definitive rule or anything, but try unplugging the fridge and see if it goes away.

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:33 am

What appliances do you have that are nearly always running? Fridge, water heater, dehumidifier, furnace, sump pump, electric baseboards, etc. Can you start throwing breakers until the clicks disappear?

How regular are the clicks?

What's the minimum amount of gear required to exhibit them? Can you hear them with just the mixer and headphones, nothing else connected?
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

goose134
pushin' record

Post by goose134 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:23 am

I agree that it is a solution that will require a bit of trial and error. I did a session recently that had one amp that magically tuned itself to the hum in my laundry room lights. Never had it before, and it was an easy fix.

The regularity of the clicks has me intrigued. Buzzing is one thing (maybe RFI or reactance from a fluorescent ballast) But clicking is another.

Try the motor loads first (furnace, boiler, pump). Then try any fluorescents and equipment. Resistive loads like water heaters and standard light bulbs shouldn't introduce noise, but I suppose anything is possible.
I make a living as an electrician, not recording in the basement.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:18 pm

Is there a sump pump?

Also, and this might be weird, but any of those plug-in pest controls?

Finally, anything with a sensor, like porch lights, smoke alarms, etc.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

kevin206
gettin' sounds

Post by kevin206 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:21 pm

I've heard of this being caused by neighbors dog fence or electric fence or even the transformer for a door bell. Good suggestions so far about testing the equipment at a different residence and throwing off breakers to eliminate everything.

I had a mixer with snaps, crackles, and hums. The hum turned out to be bad internal grounding...poor design, too. The snaps and crackles turned out to be faulty caps in the power supply section. The snaps and crackles were only audible through my monitoring system, not the headphone jack. It took a bit of troubleshooting to find the cause.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:55 am

The snaps and crackles are almost always capacitor-based, from what I understand (I had a stereo amp with that problem too-- it used to build-up, build-up, then BzzzZBAP! Pretty annoying).

_Unless_, it's a phantom power issue, because I've heard under-powered mikes do similar things. But that doesn't sound like the deal, if it's just guitar input and DI boxes... Bad active pick-ups, maybe??? But then again-again, the OP says it seems to be mixer-based, so ...????????

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

jhbrandt
alignin' 24-trk

Post by jhbrandt » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:30 am

OP,

Take the mixer to another location and test it. Narrow the problem down; is it the mixer or something in the house.

Cheers,
John
John H. Brandt - Recording Studio, Performance Hall & Architectural Acoustics Consultants
http://www.jhbrandt.net

"Twenty thousand dollars worth of Snap-On tools does not make you a Professional Diesel Mechanic"

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:58 am

yeah, that's the simplest first step to troubleshooting this and what I suggested originally as well but apparently the OP has never revisited this thread... and we all keep trying anyway. because we care! 8)
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

goose134
pushin' record

Post by goose134 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:01 pm

Understanding the OP may be gone, I feel like I should share something I learned the other day. We all know that fluorescent lights typically add some noise to a system. But I found out why! It turns out that the very act of striking the arc in the lamp generates a small radio frequency. I don't know if multiple lights generate the same frequency thereby amplifying its magnitude, but there it is. Radio.
I make a living as an electrician, not recording in the basement.