Let's talk about studio insurance

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:41 am

As mentioned, my friends suffered a major loss and setback a few weeks ago when their studio/rehearsal space burned to the ground through no fault of their own. They lost everything. Some of it can be replaced and some of it unfortunately cannot. We're all trying to get them back on track as quickly as possible. Any help is appreciated.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/help- ... urned-gear

If you can't help, no worries. This isn't a pressure thing. Just wanted to post here in order for them to get any help from the extended community. $10K doesn't even cover 1/3 of what they lost, trust me.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:27 pm

I think the agent is as important as anything, because you want someone who will go to bat for you if you need to file a claim.

Old House (my studio) used to be insured through MuscPro before I owned it. We never filed a claim, but I've heard from a few folks that they can be difficult to reach sometimes.

When I bought the studio and relocated, I contacted Alex Maiolo in Chapel Hill. He specializes in music and studio property insurance and is REALLY good about explaining that stuff. A friend of mine used to work for him and said it was absolutely normal for Alex to spend time on the phone with various companies demanding that they pay claims for his clients who needed them. So, A, he's knowledgable, and B, he will fight for his clients.

After submitting all my information to him, he came back at my with a VERY extensive policy that covers almost twice as much gear as we had at the old place, all of our liability, coverage on our buildout, and I think $5k worth of data recovery, all for about the same as we were paying for JUST the gear coverage through MusicPro. I couldn't be happier.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC