RegisterRegister
FAQ  -  SEARCH  -  MEMBERS  -  FAVORITES  -  PROFILE
The loneliness of the in-band producer
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> People Skills
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roscoenyc
george martin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: The loneliness of the in-band producer Reply with quote

Get offa my lawn:)

Jim Dickinson on Self Producing.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TORZtpC_T5A
vvv
zen recordist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: The loneliness of the in-band producer Reply with quote

Mad Sad Embarassed Laughing

I can sure see this! At the least, he makes a excellent case for an outside producer.

I try and take my time, try and get some emotional and temporal and memory distance ...

Far as this goes, I'm just the bassist (some BV's), and actually playing fairly simple songs where I don't know much beyond the bass parts that, granted, I wrote to the completed songs. I'm really as much the producer playing bass, as the bassist producing here.

What doesn't mean I don't self-produce (ain't that sound dirty? Twisted Evil ) constantly ...

Love his war stories! Rubber Soul, the Rolling Stones, etc., indeed! Cool

In the end, this is a labour of love, not $, and I'm havin' a blast, even with some frustration along the way.

Thanks for the great link!
roscoenyc
george martin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: The loneliness of the in-band producer Reply with quote

There are a bunch of those Dickinson videos on that Youtube channel. They are all great to watch. He helped me a lot over the years. I too occasionally self produce but when I do I really try to think as I would when I'm producing a band.
vvv
zen recordist

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: The loneliness of the in-band producer Reply with quote

One thing about this project that I'm finding helpful is the lack of pressure to do it fast, coupled with the desire by every one to do it right, and our ability to negotiate expectations as to what is "right"..

I have done up to 12 mixes of a cuppla songs, 320kps mp3'd 'em and e-mailed 'em off, and gotten quick feedback, what is very helpful. The primary issue, as I have stated, has been the kick ...

So I hafta larf as I tell you that we jammed at the drummer's house the other night and went up stairs to listen to the mixes on his best playback, only to find it's a off-brand shelf system with a different brand sub woofer, and he's cranking it. Mad

Wait!

It gets better!

The shelf system has EQ pre-sets and his was set on "hip-hop." Shocked

Wait!

It gets better!

His teenage son was present and as the son is also a drummer, I learned that his father (my drummer) has been entertaining the son's opinion. What's he drum? Death metal.

I cannot make this up! Laughing

So I disabled the sub, put the EQ pre-set on "flat", turned the the shelf system down to a reasonable volume and he had to agree that the mixes are balanced.

Please, everyone, whatever you do tonight, raise one to me and my patience! Twisted Evil
vvv
zen recordist

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: The loneliness of the in-band producer Reply with quote

Well, here's how it ended up:

<---click

1. Intro 00:06
2. Soul Mate 04:16
3. Rock & Roll Cat 05:25
4. Doncha' Stop 03:26
5. Whaddaya Want from Me 05:01
6. Cleo Mae 04:47
7. FREE! - Gidget - FREE DOWNLOAD! 05:22
8. Shock Treatment 04:21
9. Ghost Locked inna Church 03:27
10. Septic Girl 04:41
11. Askin' Too Much 04:25
12. You Were the One 04:35
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> People Skills All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: