International Power Regulator?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

bassist001
audio school graduate

International Power Regulator?

Post by bassist001 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:49 am

So, I'm putting together a mobile recording rig for a higher profile artist in Brazil right now. And well, he's dumping a lot of money into it. 20 channels of API 512c and 20 channels of API 312 to name just part of it. So, my question is this. Brazil is one of the few countries that uses both 120v and 220v. With some instances of weird 127v in areas. Is there any type of voltage regulation unit that I can run all power through, that will regulate spikes up to 130v+. But also be able to switch input voltage without the output voltage changing? Sorry I'm just at the beginning stages of this phase of the design. I have not had a lot of time to do research on the subject due to working on other parts of the design. So, I thought I'd start here to see if anyone had any input.

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:16 am

There are switching power supplies that are fine with any wall voltage from 100-240v. They're not ideal for audio applications but still might be the best choice for your situation. I'm not an expert , but I suspect there's info on the interwebs somewhere about minimizing/eliminating noise introduced into the audio path by a switching ps.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:29 am

Google, is your friend:

Step down transformer to go from 220 to 120V:

https://www.google.com/search?q=step+do ... nt=firefox

What you do need to add is the approximate wattage and amperage total for the rig.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:34 pm

If you're hanging a lot of circuitry off it, a generator might be the way to go. If the local power sucks, make your own clean power. And let Honda worry about keeping the voltage within range.

Modern switch mode supplies can often function over an input range of something like 80-260 VAC. I'm not sure how well they deal with short glitches, but the base specification seems to be within range. It's also something that's hard to test casually on the workbench...

Switchers are problematic if you need output voltages for analog electronics (+/-15VDC). Most switchers are intended for 5V or 3.3V. I've successfully used one from Meanwell...but it was only good to an Ampere or so.

Those Furman jobbies that keep AC in range use an autoformer with some sort of switching stator apparatus between the taps. But they usually do a small range around 120VAC.

Can you characterize the overall situation better?
-How long are the overvoltage spikes? Fractions of a second? Minutes? If they're really short, some clamping diodes and overvoltage crowbar protection might handle it. If they're sustained, you'll need to figure out what to do with all of the heat.
-How much current do you need, at what voltage(s)?
-How savvy will the operator be? Will they understand if there's some configuration required when moving between 120 and 240, and the risk associated if they get it wrong?

How do the locals deal with the situation? You're not the first person the need to navigate this. They may have some magic apparatus they apply that those of us in North America don't know about. What do the hospitals and broadcast media do for stable power?

You might also look into what the solar folks are doing...your situation has some parallels there - deep cycle batteries and inverters, using the grid for backup.
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:30 pm

If you need a heavy duty rack step down transformer, I've got one for sale: http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopi ... ht=pulizzi

Currently has a US 220v "dryer style" plug on the end, not the plug show in the picture, but can be changed out for anything appropriate.

Orpheus
ass engineer

Post by Orpheus » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:15 pm

Is there a single frequency for these disparate mains voltages or do those fluctuate as well?
I have no applicable advice for this situation other than a generator/deep cycle battery combo, but I am interested in hearing the solution.