Upgrading Conversion from a 003r

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

alexevansohio
gimme a little kick & snare

Upgrading Conversion from a 003r

Post by alexevansohio » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:21 am

Hey all,

For the past few years I've been running a 003 with a selection of outboard pres as my main AD/DA conversion for a small mobile and mixing rig. While I've always been aware that the 003 isn't the greatest converter, I've always preferred to put money into mics, pres, and instruments, rather than conversion. However, after setting up a small home studio for my father for Christmas and having a chance to compare the 003 to one of the new Focusrite interfaces (the Scarlett 18i8), I'm realizing that the 003 is the weakest link in my current system. Even listening on headphones, the Focusrite has extended highs and lows compared to the 003, and the midrange is a lot clearer.

Now, this Focusrite isn't really ideal for my setup, as I need everything to be rackmount and fairly portable. I'd like to keep all the I/O the back of the unit, if possible, and pres aren't really important to me, as I have good pres to use. I'm working on a MacBook, so USB2/3, Firewire, or Thunderbolt are my only options--not PCIe solutions unfortunately. It would also be ideal to get another 8 inputs, though I'm fine with just 8 outputs, as I don't mix on a console or use a summing mixer at this point.

So what would you advise? I can't afford a Symphony I/O or anything like that at the moment, though that does seem like an ideal solution. 16 Channels is just way out of my price range. Is there anything worth moving to for under $1000? I'm also happy to stick to 8 channels and add another 8 when I can afford it. Should I just save for a Symphony or similar?

This setup is used for tracking 'Take Away Show' type live sessions in found spaces, remote sessions with bands in houses and practice spaces, and mixing most of the records that I track. I work out of some local studios as well, but I like being able to mix on my own time, so at least a good two channels of DA is really important, though coming from a 003, I figure most things would be an upgrade.

Thanks so much for your help,

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:10 pm

Hi Alex,

If you are going to continue using ProTools, then you can use almost any converter on the market if you have version 9 and above.

Since your limit is 1K USD, and you want it mobile, I would look at and compare these:

Motu 828mkiii Hybrid

Focusrite Sapphire Pro40

Steinberg MR816 X.

They all are Firewire, all come in under 1k, and I own the motu 828mkiii which I do like a lot. The others I am sure are just as good converter wise.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

alexevansohio
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by alexevansohio » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:00 pm

Nick Sevilla wrote:Hi Alex,

If you are going to continue using ProTools, then you can use almost any converter on the market if you have version 9 and above.

Since your limit is 1K USD, and you want it mobile, I would look at and compare these:

Motu 828mkiii Hybrid

Focusrite Sapphire Pro40

Steinberg MR816 X.

They all are Firewire, all come in under 1k, and I own the motu 828mkiii which I do like a lot. The others I am sure are just as good converter wise.

Cheers
Thanks for your reply- I'm in PT10 currently, and have the upgrade to 11 but haven't installed it yet.

I've used both the Saffire and the Steinberg before. While I thought the Saffire was cool, I didn't really love the 2 inputs on the front/6 on the back setup, and the whole thing seemed a bit more prosumer than I wanted. Especially as, from what I've read, you can't bypass the preamps. Same is true of the Steinberg. I'm definitely intrigued by the Motu (how's the latency, by the way?). I just wonder how the conversion compares to something higher end.

Looking around online, it seems fairly easy to find an RME Fireface 800 or Apogee Ensemble used for less than $1000. The Fireface especially has a lot of room for expansion, 8 line inputs, double ADAT ports, and apparently great conversion. I've heard its older brother (the UFX) in a studio and thought it sounded awesome, and an engineer I have a lot of respect for uses a Fireface 400 regularly. That seems like it may be the way to go.

Thanks so much for your help,

Alex

brownshoes77
alignin' 24-trk

Post by brownshoes77 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:17 pm

used lynx aurora 8 would clock in at around 1k. maybe 1100 or 12

you would hear a massive upgrade from an 003

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:03 pm

brownshoes77 wrote:used lynx aurora 8 would clock in at around 1k. maybe 1100 or 12

you would hear a massive upgrade from an 003
I use an Aurora 8 hooked up to my 003r via ADAT. I used it standalone via FireWire, but had several sessions where I needed more than 8 inputs, and ended up liking he set up. clocking the 003r to the Aurora was a huge improvement. you can monitor from the lynx, but I use the 003r's for monitoring and headphones, and it sounds great.

I paid $1300 for a used unit a few years back and bought an ADAT L-slot card for around $100. just needed a pair of d-sub to TRS connectors and added it too my patchbay.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:59 pm

if you dump the 003r altogether, then you have to get something that can do your monitor/headphone control. the Lynx Aurora 8 does not have that by itself. You need a console/mixer, or Dangerous Dbox or equivalent.

also, Pro Tools with the 002/003r has this special "low latency mode" which if you have gotten used to that, you may miss with other interfaces. I still have not found a replacement for my 002r that could do this... I tried the Aurora 16 and the Antelope Orion 32 and went back to the 002r. but my 002r has the Black Lion mod.

so if you like how the 003r functions, then you might consider the Black Lion mod (or pickup another 003r that is already modded and keep this one as a backup). It really does make it sound better (better than simply clocking off a better interface - I used to clock mine off an RME converter but now I use the internal clock for both). Of course, only consider this if you are not planning to upgrade Pro Tools every 6 months as they release new versions... my 002r is long obsolete now but still works great for me with PT9.

I'm still wanting to try the UA Apollo though to see if I could use the software mixer to create the same zero-latency mix for headphones.

Mike
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com