Whaddya Listenin' to in 2014?

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:01 pm

DBT's DVD, Live at the 40 Watt Club: makes me wanna quit writing, especially when "Cotton Seeds" comes on, and Cooley ain't even the famous writer, much less Isbell's "Decoration Day". But instead, I am inspired. 8) Also, since I have alla Hood's, I need to start gettin' Cooley's and Isbell's solo stuff. And now mebbe Tucker's.

MBV, Loveless: I still think it's some weird shite, even if I kinda like it because it's some weird shite.

The Murder Junkies, Road Killer: I have this, but can't (I'm sure), play it with the kids in the house. And my singer is dating one of GG's gurrlfriends. And I'm scared to listen to it but keep lookin' at it - more to come.

Mudhoney, Vanishing Point: not, mebbe, as cool as the movie, but damn-b-damn close.

MSMW, Out Louder: I wanna be in this band.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Neal
gettin' sounds

Post by Neal » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:04 pm

Earthless - From the Ages If you want guitar solos, they got 'em.

Been listening to a lot of Brant Bjork's stuff lately. Jalamanta has some real laid back grooves and a great old-school sound to it. He has a few other really good records too. Simple, no-bullshit, well executed riff rock jams.
vvv wrote:Page & Plant, No Quarter: a bit weirder ("Nobody's Fault", "Evermore" - kudos to the Denny-part singer), and a lot better than you prob'ly remember. Plant especially is in good voice, and when Page lets rip ("Since I been Lovin' You") it's very reminiscent of the best of some radioactive-containing prophylactic.
Agreed. "Nobody's Fault" is pretty great and "Yallah" stands out in my mind too. I saw them on that tour. The live shows were possibly the least sloppy performances of his career. Not that I'm in any position to criticize. I'm gonna have to dig that one out again.

elvers
audio school

Post by elvers » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:51 am

^some good stuff there:

Very late to the party I'm sure but I just discovered Califone.

Weaning myself off 2013's obsession with the Father John Misty album produced by Jonathon Wilson with the Jonathon Wilson album.

New Damiem Jurado is great, also been really enjoying this Dad Rocks! record, Mount Modern.

The usual Elvis Costello, Tom Waits, Dylan addiction continues to fight for stereo time with a sudden John Dwyer obsession occasioned by the demise of Thee Oh Sees. Mainly Coachwhips at the moment.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:58 am

Steve Wynn, Live in Bremen: it's kinda a "storytellers" thing where just he and TM3 guitarist Castro play guitars and do the songs, including Dream Syndicate songs, and Wynn talks between 'em - ver' cool.

Mark Lanegan and Duke Garwood, Black Pudding: I didn't like this at first, but like all things Lanegan it's growing on me, very goth-blues and kinda atmospheric, mostly just acoustic guitar and THE VOICE. Loving his recent greatest hits release, BTW, especially the new tracks.

MBV, Loveless: because I ain't rode the spinning love rollercoaster in a while.

Silversun Pickups, Neck of the Woods: it's only fair, and ain't make me swoon.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

lyman
re-cappin' neve

Post by lyman » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:23 am

Been listening to some brit-folk stuff like Pentangle, Bert Jansch, Richard Thompson. I enjoy the songs of course but they're also working with a different guitar vocabulary than i'm used to using. So that's fun.

I saw the Stax: Respect Yourself documentary again recently, and I just a have a 2 disc Stax compilation but I've been spinning that a bunch.

And Motown - I went on an itunes downloading kick. Can't stop listening to the 4 Tops' "Reach Out." Such a great song/recording! The vocal and the bass playing...good god.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:50 pm

The Cult's Electric/Peace is pretty cool having the original rejected studio tracks (what sound more like "Rain") and the Rick Rubin stuff. Ah the memories, dancing in Smart Bar to "Love Removal Machine" ... :twisted:

Sonic Youth, Goo: coulda been recorded yesterday, and I like the Chelsea Moving Lights record, also.

Miles, Kind of Blue, 'Round Midnight: you already know.

DBT, Decoration Day: way too over-looked, this is one of their best albums, but then, they are all one of their best!
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:14 am

The latest DBT, Oceans: ver' cool, with Hood and Cooley trading off songs, no 3rd writer, it's great on all levels except sonically, where it's just a touch lo-fi or sompin'.

Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings, Give the People ...: speakin' of lo-fi, it's a intentional, wonderful choice here, and she and the band are in fine form - I can't believe how panned-mono works so well, and I love the writing/arrangements, also.

The Quintet, Jazz at Massey Hall: Gillespie, Parker, Powell, Mingus, Roach. So well-recorded, so brilliantly played (a plastic alto?), currently in my top 10.

Bowie, Hours: a kinda forgotten album from '99, almost like his latest but with heavy doses of Gabrel, "Thursday's Child" and "The Pretty Things Are Going to Hell" stand out.

Screaming Trees, Last Words: the Final Recordings: the band is in fine form, and Peter Buck is all over it in rhythm guitar, recorded in '99 but not released until '11, I just found out about it and am sorry I didn't hear it sooner, yesterday or in '99.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:13 am

Lots of stuff, but mostly traditional African music, mainly field recording albums from back in the day. A good chunk of it is from Cameroon, but also Fulani flutes, ritual music from Benin, traditional stuff from Uganda, Tanzania, C.A.R., Eithiopia, Morocco... basically all over the continent, whatever I can find that I like. I just finished reading Kevin Shillington's "History of Africa", and re-reading Francis Bebey's "African Music-- a People's Art" and I'm getting a better sense of the different regions and cross-influences pre- and post-colonialism, but there's just so much to know it's just a drop in the ocean-- but at least it's a start. I don't think we were taught anything at all about Africa in public school... at least now I know enough not to feel like a complete idiot.

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:01 pm

The War On Drugs - Lost In The Dream. My buddies. Total masterpiece on repeat over here. Comes out tomorrow but got my purple vinyl at their secret record release show last night here in Philly. Don't miss them on this tour. They are a 6-piece now and sound better than ever.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

Beat Poet
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Beat Poet » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:15 pm

Rah Rah, a great underground band from Regina, Saskatchewan.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:22 pm

I've been so busy with sessions that I haven't been listening to too much new stuff, but a friend of mine just sent me a copy of Love by Cloud Cult and it's really good. I also just did some work with members of the band fun and although I was only familiar with their GIGANTIC hit singles, I got to hear some of their other stuff and it was really interesting-- especially their first album. They're HUGE Jellyfish fans and Roger Manning did string arrangements for that one. The Queen influence is also largely present on both. Gonna have to look into more of their stuff.

Also have been working a bit with Phil Giallombardo and that's turned me on to some James Gang stuff that I wasn't hip to.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:25 pm

For kinda obscurity, I also liked that James Gang record with Tommy Bolin, me.

Jesse Come Home is totally worth investigating if you're remotely a prog fan. Not the same kind of funky as the Joe Walsh era stuff, but really interesting. A lot of fascinating stories about that record, too. In fact, that whole band has really interesting history of which I was not aware at all. I really dug the Joe Walsh stuff I'd heard, but had no idea of their connections to the Raspberries and whatnot.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

thunderboy
buyin' a studio

Post by thunderboy » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:27 pm

Jumping the Tracks by +/1 {Plus/Minus} in heavy rotation now.
"most toreadors worth a damn are circumcized."
- Discs of Tron

nobody, really
takin' a dinner break

Post by nobody, really » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:37 am

Anytime I get to sit down and listen to an album it's been Joao Gilberto- Chega De Saudade lately.

kung_fu_elvis
alignin' 24-trk

Post by kung_fu_elvis » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:20 pm

Father John Misty - Fear Fun, this album hasn't left my turntable in way too long... it's a great blend of retro and modern with some really quirky lyrics.
Mike