DIY Diffusors without glue?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Hurricane Andrew
audio school

DIY Diffusors without glue?

Post by Hurricane Andrew » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:32 am

I'm considering using screws instead of glue to attach the studs to the plywood base. I'm guessing that it will add some weight, but save a lot of time. Has anybody tried this? Thanks

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:30 am

When I've built mine, I'll pop in a screw here and there for stability. One thing to consider, especially on the shorter lengths, is that the grain of the wood will easily split unless and even when you drill a pilot hole.

When I was showing mine to a friend, his immediate reaction was, "Huh, you could do that with Legos."
Village Idiot.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:04 pm

I dunno. Glue is so amazingly good these days. Yeah, you'd save time with screws, maybe. But if you're using hardwoods you'll probably want to predrill all your screw holes to avoid splitting, so that adds time.

If you really want to save time, maybe rent a nail gun and compressor. Bang bang bang and on to the next piece. Just be careful not to nail your finger to the workpiece.

norton
buyin' a studio

Post by norton » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:15 am

Screws will NOT save you time. You will likely split and ruin 20% or more of the blocks. A trim nail gun with a dab of glue is a quick and easy way to go.....but not screws.

I mean you can totally do it with screws but it won't be quicker or easier.

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:39 am

Agreed with above.

Plus, glue has the advantage of allowing you to fine tune the placement of each piece prior to it setting, so you can get everything in exactly the right spot. With screws you are in for a much harder time if you drill the pilot holes inaccurately.

Osumosan
takin' a dinner break

Post by Osumosan » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:57 am

I used a heavy duty staple gun when attaching 2 x 2's to plywood (also used a bit of glue to help hold things in place. It's held for several years now.

Jarvis
pushin' record

Post by Jarvis » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:51 am

Screws through the ply into the 2xs. Glue doesn't do as well on end grain. Nailgun (careful!) with or without clamps if you got 'em for the rest.
Ivan the Threadstopper