100% wet for hardware effects in series?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

therethere
audio school graduate

100% wet for hardware effects in series?

Post by therethere » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:17 pm

Hi, I have a question regarding blending effects from tracks that have already been recorded in a DAW.

I've been wanting to incorporate hardware guitar pedal effects into my clean DAW (I know this can be done with plugins but I like my pedals a bit too much) and as I've read, one approach is to output the clean sound, put it through an effect 100% wet and then blend the dry and wet recordings together to taste. My question stems mainly from if you wanted to put effects in series (like distortion and delay). I'm just wondering how other people approach re-amping the effects? Like, do you output the dry signal and just put it through the pedals, record and use that as your final track? Or do you still try to blend? And with pedals in series, I assume you wouldn't make it go through 100% wet for each.....Or do people process one effect at a time and then continually re-amp with each new effect?
http://justinchee.bandcamp.com

toronto/mississauga, ontario, kanada.

Matt C.
suffering 'studio suck'

Re: 100% wet for hardware effects in series?

Post by Matt C. » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:51 pm

therethere wrote:do you output the dry signal and just put it through the pedals, record and use that as your final track?
for the sake of simplicity I would try this approach first. you end up with less flexibility after the fact, but hopefully that's okay. doing things separately, blending a bunch of tracks, etc, is probably not the most efficient workflow, so I'd avoid it unless you find yourself wanting a sound that can only be created that way (doesn't seem likely). not to mention all the phase weirdness you could get from your converter latency.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:00 pm

Hey ThereThere,

I think the answer is a combination of all of those, depending on the situation and the individual.

I usually just record the guitarist with their live sound in the room. A lot easier than reamping.

Hey, while I've got you on the thread: http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopic.php?t=85122

GJ

Edit: I see Matt just gave a way more detailed/accurate description of the why, but basically that, yeah...
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

analogika
gettin' sounds

Post by analogika » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:56 am

The answer is: mess with it until you like the results.

I do a lot of external processing. Sometimes I'll want the original signal to add the clarity, sometimes I'll just want the ethereal floatiness of the stereo chorus.

Sometimes I'll use just the grainy grunge that comes out of the analog delay and shift it until it's back on the beat (or not), sometimes I'll compress the hell out of it and add it to the original signal just enough to give it some psycho atmosphere. Sometimes both, within a song.

It's your playground. Your rules.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:34 pm

FWIW, me, I record with what FX I need play to/with, mix ITB with what FX I didn't, and typically use a lot less, a lot less, than I do live.

It's like distortion; a good rule of thumb is to start recording with 25% of what you use live, then tweak, then adjust yer settings ... :twisted:

But then, I basically only ever re-amp to fix stuff.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.