Opinions on two-story studios

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Matt C.
suffering 'studio suck'

Opinions on two-story studios

Post by Matt C. » Sun May 04, 2014 7:41 pm

For those of you with this type of setup, I'm wondering what you like and dislike about having a studio where the control room is on a different level than the live room. I'm accustomed to them being right next to each other, so having stairs in between seems like a hassle, but I'm trying to get a feel for whether it really is a huge hassle, or no big deal. Opinions? Effects on productivity and workflow?

kevin206
gettin' sounds

Post by kevin206 » Mon May 05, 2014 1:19 pm

I've got one big room, but when I've tracked at home and used different rooms I occasionally used different floors. Will the live room be for everything, or just initial tracking? Will the control room be large enough to house the band for mix playback and overdubs? The biggest problems I've had...after cabling issues...has been visual contact. It may help to have two-way video along with talkback mics. And setting up sounds could be a hassle.

On a positive, if the live room is limited to drums, live basics, or housing guitar cabs during overdubs, you may be able to save some dough on heating/cooling if you can separate the two rooms.

Studiodawg
takin' a dinner break

Post by Studiodawg » Tue May 06, 2014 11:57 am

I have a two-story studio. I track downstairs in "the pit" and mix/edit/master & broadcast/transmit an FCC licensed low power FM radio station upstairs.

norton
buyin' a studio

Post by norton » Tue May 13, 2014 5:22 am

It worked for trident and emi (abbey road ).
Can't be all bad

Ric Vaughan
audio school

Post by Ric Vaughan » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:32 am

one thing that is nice about the upstairs down stairs set up is the acoustic spaces are completely different, and sitting on different floors.
often in one room situations or even rooms next to each other, you monitors are in the same room or same size space as your mics so you are hearing that space twice. that can really confuse your brain.
also stairs are really good for the engineering types due to the fact we dont get out much.. a little stair climbing is good for you..
install some vid monitors and your all good.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:48 pm

norton wrote:It worked for trident and emi (abbey road ).
Can't be all bad
And Electrical Studio B