RegisterRegister
FAQ  -  SEARCH  -  MEMBERS  -  FAVORITES  -  PROFILE
#101 - Colin Marston
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> Tape Op Magazine
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neal
gettin' sounds

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject: #101 - Colin Marston Reply with quote

Just got the new issue in my email. Holy shit. Wasn't expecting a Colin Marston interview. Thanks Tape Op.
Brett Siler
resurrected

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: #101 - Colin Marston Reply with quote

Just got mine and saw that too. I was pumped! He's a good dude. Years ago I shared a bill with Dysrhythmia and we talked for hours afterwards about recording and music. He was super cool and gave me a few albums of side projects of his too. I've kept in touch over the years randomly through email. Great guy and he makes great sounding records. Can't wait to read it. Been LOVING the quality of the Vaura records he's done.

My Music: http://www.brettsiler.bandcamp.com/
StudioMother Brain Sound Infrastructure
Bro Shark
re-cappin' neve

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: #101 - Colin Marston Reply with quote

Wow, I'm excited to read this too.
Hugelongjohns
audio school

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 4:18 am    Post subject: Can't open my links Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad

Got the email but none of the links work for me. Any thoughts?
Bro Shark
re-cappin' neve

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: #101 - Colin Marston Reply with quote

Totally appreciate a) extreme metal being discussed in Tape Op; and b) Marston's frank thoughts on it. I've heard some of his recorded work and to me it sounds like he's finding success achieving the balance between organic/inorganic sounds that he talks about. In other words, it can sound heavy/huge, but still be sonically pleasing and sound like a band. Check out Artificial Brain - Labyrinth Constellation, or Gorguts - Colored Sands (which Colin expertly plays on). They both sound enormous and out of this world, but totally real.
Ring
audio school

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: #101 - Colin Marston Reply with quote

It's pretty incredible the amount of influence he's having on extreme metal at the moment. Coloured sands was my album of the year last year, Castevet were close behind, Artificial brain is one of the best releases so far this year, Krallice and behold the arctopus are generally awesome. And I was into all this stuff BEFORE I even knew he had a hand in it all, I only knew about Gorguts and arctopus until about a month ago when I was looking up more info on Labyrinth Constellation.

One of the interesting things I've noticed though is that in defiance of the long held convention in extreme metal, you can actually hear the bass :p (and it doesn't sound as thin as tinfoil). Not surprising given he is an absolute beast on bass/warr guitar so he definitely has a particular ear for it.

But yeah, really appreciating the clarity and space in his recording style, I think it comes off particularly well when the bands he records are expert musicians since there isn't so much distortion and grit to cover everything up which both exposes shitty musos and flatters great ones. You probably couldn't find a better group of musos in extreme metal than Gorguts in terms of combined writing and technical ability.
TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: #101 - Colin Marston Reply with quote

I'm glad readers are into features like this. I've been to more metal shows recently and am having a good fucking time.
www.larry-crane.com
ubertar
cryogenically thawing

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: #101 - Colin Marston Reply with quote

Been listening to the two full-length Behold the Arctopus records a lot lately. I put on Skullgrid and my 3-year old daughter said, "It sounds like Fraggle Rock". Smile Great playing technically; no silly guttural vocals; interesting harmonic and melodic structures; nice sounds. I could go for a little more variety in tempo, and maybe a lighter touch on the reverb, but that's just nitpicking. I'll have to check out some of his other groups.
Bro Shark
re-cappin' neve

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: #101 - Colin Marston Reply with quote

Check out Dysrhythmia.
ubertar
cryogenically thawing

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: #101 - Colin Marston Reply with quote

Bro Shark wrote:
Check out Dysrhythmia.

Will do. Thanks.
ubertar
cryogenically thawing

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: #101 - Colin Marston Reply with quote

ubertar wrote:
Bro Shark wrote:
Check out Dysrhythmia.

Will do. Thanks.

Fuck yeah. Kind of like a cross between Behold... the Arctopus and Rush.
ubertar
cryogenically thawing

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: #101 - Colin Marston Reply with quote

Bro Shark wrote:
Check out Dysrhythmia.

They're playing tonight in Greenpoint, Brooklyn (St. Vitus). Just bought a ticket.

Never did this Ticketfly thing before... they added a service charge of $4. Maybe I would have better off just buying a ticket at the door? I'm not used to having to buy a ticket for a club show. Is that how it's done these days?
esotericmetal
audio school

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: #101 - Colin Marston Reply with quote

+1 for more coverage of good metal in tapeop.

I would love to see an interview with Billy Anderson in the near future.
dfuruta
re-cappin' neve

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: #101 - Colin Marston Reply with quote

doubt it could happen, but: Pytten.
ScottEvans
gimme a little kick & snare

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: #101 - Colin Marston Reply with quote

esotericmetal wrote:
+1 for more coverage of good metal in tapeop.

I would love to see an interview with Billy Anderson in the near future.

http://tapeop.com/interviews/33/billy-anderson/
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> Tape Op Magazine All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: