Radiohead-esque trio - how are these mixes?

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Radiohead-esque trio - how are these mixes?

Post by apropos of nothing » Thu May 29, 2014 4:57 pm

Hi Tape-Oppers,

I'm playing with some guys in a three-piece - drums, keys, guitar/vox. Music is pretty varied, some instrumnetal, some fairly dance-able originals. We decided to do an album. We recorded basics in the drummers attic studio, and I did several overdubs at my house, as well as some flown in vox, and guitar tracks from the attic.

I've been working on these tracks for about a month, and feel they are pretty close to ready to go. ...I think. I'd really love some feedback from an outside perspective. Thanks for your time.
https://app.box.com/s/q983dyrehcl5drkfc1o5

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Thu May 29, 2014 6:16 pm

I'd be more likely to listen if they were streaming online somewhere, rather than download wav files.... Maybe soundcloud or similar?

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Thu May 29, 2014 7:09 pm

They are streams. Just click the file name and it will start streaming. Sorry I didn't specify. Looking like you're going to get the 24-bit download is just a trick.

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Fri May 30, 2014 11:38 am

Ah, my bad.

I listened to 3 or 4 of the songs. I like the arrangements and the performances. The mixes are clean and clear, which may not be what you want if you are going for a Radiohead vibe. Thom Yorke has quite a vocal personality, he can bring a lot of intensity to even an understated vocal line, and the rest of the band can sometimes match it.

If you are going for that sort of a vibe, I'd probably add a bit more distortion and get more creative with effects (delay, distortion, compression, etc), limit the frequency range of various instruments, etc. It's an overused buzzword but think more lo-fi.

I like these tracks, but that's what I'd do to get more of the Radiohead vibe.

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Fri May 30, 2014 1:08 pm

I'm kinda using Radiohead as a reference, just because I'm kinda stumped on how to describe our sound that gives people a (positive) ballpark.

I really appreciate your listening and thoughts. Thanks a bunch.