10 channels pres->??-> Win8 PC

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

mblindsey
audio school

10 channels pres->??-> Win8 PC

Post by mblindsey » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:55 am

This is a crosspost from one I made over on gearlutz, but I thought I would pick the brain of the experts in this great forum. I also see that this is similar to a post made recently by another user, but I think I have a little bit more specific needs. Thanks!

+++++++++

Over the years, I've collected a few stereo mic preamps:

Two Grace Design Lunatec V3s (analog, coax spdif , or AES out)
Apogee MiniMP (analog out)
Apogee MiniME (coax spdif, AES out)
Sound Devices MP2 (analog out)

..also Apogee MiniDAC

My Win7 PC is getting a little on the slow side for me in terms of speed, especially for video editing, so I want to upgrade everything. That will mean a fresh copy of Win8 on an Asrock motherboard with thunderbolt ports and USB 3.0. I've already purchased the motherboard...

I currently have a FireWire based Presonus firestudio, and I've had problems with it over the years and it's out of support.

Goals:

- solid AD
- works in Windows 8
- is not FireWire
- 24/192
- 8 analog in min
- one coax spdif or XLR AES in for my MiniME
- low latency, I'm the whole band. So, I playback and record
- Reaper is my DAW
- I'll be using my pre's for gain, so I'm primarily relying on this device to perform AD and get the bits in my PC.

I'm not opposed to older gear (Apogee AD16x & RME card?), but USB (3.0?) or thunderbolt is a plus. I've checked out the websites of focusrite, motu, UAD, et al. I guess the newer motu 828x would work. Anyone here have a similar setup and good luck with a particular interface or standalone AD + PCIe card? Budget? I would like to cover my 10 existing channels with room to grow, so 16 in and less than $2k (if possible)?

Thanks in advance,
Michael

mrc
re-cappin' neve

Post by mrc » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:23 pm

A pair of focusrite pro 40's with the Bla mod and Audient 880 would get you to 24. The two 40's modded come in under 2k, and the 880 is going around 1400, plus has nice features/sounds good to me.