Logic Pro 8 workflow questions

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

pxprecords
audio school

Logic Pro 8 workflow questions

Post by pxprecords » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:58 pm

Good Afternoon Tape Op!

I have been able to record and mix a few projects(in the box) using Logic Pro 8, an 8 channel Firepod, and an older mac laptop running 10.4.11.Happy to say this setup works great! I know its older software but I have many questions about the DAW workflow.

First, I?m concerned about using automation. I get a little confused about how to mix once I?ve enabled even the smallest amount of automation. Mostly I?ll use automation for fading out things like drum tracks (like, at the beginning or ending of a song) or any blips or clicks during a silent passage (again at the end of a take for any instrument really).

But once I start toying around with automation, and I find that i want to adjust the mix, I tend to get overwhelmed with how much work I?ve created for myself. I understand that I can enable latch or write to help with this, but It?s a little frustrating when I?d normally just raise the fader.

To bring the volume up I?d go into automation for that track and begin grabing the volume bars (and noting at what db level its at and where it needs to be at) and raising them, and if I didn?t hit the sweet spot I might have to go in again and readjust.

I need some advice in this regard. As it stands I feel like I should spend most of my time mixing, and disregarding any automation I might want to do until I have the mix right.

Another thing I wonder about. I frequently will save my track settings as a file (kick, snare, ect) to use later. Is there a way to keep those organized? Example: I have 3 songs. I start with song ?A?, find my setting and save it (kick.cst). Then I open song ?B? and call up my kick setting, except now I?ve tweaked it a little, and I save my setting (overwriting my previous setting). Is there anyway to have song ?A? recognize the change without having to use ?reset channel strip settings?? Song A is already using kick.cst but will not reload it even if I re-select it. I?m just looking for some efficiency here.

Lastly, I?m having some issues with the final mix. My tracks tend to go into the red and thusly running the master into the red. But it sounds fine, I think. What is a good workflow to keep this in check? As far as bouncing goes, I?ll bounce to a .wav AND an mp3. What should I do with the .wav after my bounce. i don?t want to nessicarily ?master? it, but something along those lines. Im a hobby home recorder at best but I?d like to have as finished a product as I can.

These questions are somewhat specific to Logic Pro 8, though what I?m really looking for are workflow related answers. I just want to speed up things that seem to take too long.

Thank you in advance 

WillMorgan
gimme a little kick & snare

Mix then Master

Post by WillMorgan » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:39 pm

being just one person and charged with managing all of your 'gain structure' can be tricky! Keep your roles distinct... recordist, mixer, masterer...

Are your performances good enough that you could edit by sections, adjusting volumes on clips as you go, to get your rhythm tracks right? I would hope so. Otherwise, ride 'n hide.

target each track for -12 to -20db in order to aim for -12 to -6 at max for your Stereo Mix. Do NOT burn the pie... with 24 bits of computerized headroom, why distort?

For implemnting a mastering chain for the stereo mix in logic I use a template. Maybe a multiband eq and compression, stereo exciter etc.. then, shoot to top those peaks out at zero db, or better yet, just pay a new set of ears to interpret your mix on the frequency domain as you work your butt off to pay for their value add!

Somewhere in Mitchel Pigsley's lessons here must be one on his Logic 'pseudo mastering' chain... https://www.youtube.com/user/mpigsley77 ... ery=master

Thanks to the Hayride 2 for in Seattle for my recent learning experience, with solid db numbers! July's series in Seattle now enrolling!!
https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Stev ... 0078206651

Also with Steve Turnidge, he wrote "Desktop Mastering" which goes through his mastering chain and more in detail but if you listen closely you can hear it here for free..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsTUOz-pMYg
- EP "Built Some" released 12/13/13
http://willmomusic.com/

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Logic Pro 8 workflow questions

Post by Nick Sevilla » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:42 pm

pxprecords wrote:Good Afternoon Tape Op!
SNIP
First, I?m concerned about using automation.
Don't be. Use everything available in your DAW until it sounds beautiful to your ears.
You should see some of my mixes... they look like a psychopath just wiggles the hell out of all the tracks. As long as it sounds GREAT, it does not matter what the computer's screen looks like. Stop listening with your eyes.
pxprecords wrote:Another thing I wonder about. I frequently will save my track settings as a file (kick, snare, ect) to use later. Is there a way to keep those organized? Example: I have 3 songs. I start with song ?A?, find my setting and save it (kick.cst). Then I open song ?B? and call up my kick setting, except now I?ve tweaked it a little, and I save my setting (overwriting my previous setting). Is there anyway to have song ?A? recognize the change without having to use ?reset channel strip settings?? Song A is already using kick.cst but will not reload it even if I re-select it. I?m just looking for some efficiency here.
I have a folder for each album I create inside the main effects settings folder for my DAW. Then, I only write a setting when that song is finished mixing. Now, to save a kick, for example, I label it "Artist-Song-Kick" as the preset name.
pxprecords wrote:Lastly, I?m having some issues with the final mix. My tracks tend to go into the red and thusly running the master into the red. But it sounds fine, I think. What is a good workflow to keep this in check?
Create a track group which contains EVERY channel, and then turn ALL OF IT DOWN. A lot, like 10 dB or more. Then check your final output until it no longer distorts. Once you have this, you can disengage this group, and hopefully not need it ever again.
pxprecords wrote:These questions are somewhat specific to Logic Pro 8, though what I?m really looking for are workflow related answers. I just want to speed up things that seem to take too long.
Thank you in advance
Actually these can relate to any DAW... Logic is a little different than the others, but nice to work with.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

Logic 8 Workflows

Post by alexdingley » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:59 am

1. Consider using the "fade tool" for quick fade outs, instead of jumping right to automation. If you hit "escape" and type a Zero, you'll have the fade tool without having to use the buttons at the top of the screen. The fade tool lets you drag a fade over the audio clip, creating fade-ins / fade-outs / cross fades quickly. It also allows you to edit a fade to give it any particular curve that suits the situation. So: fade first, automate later

2. You can save Channel Strip Settings into Folders. I create "artist" folders for individual projects, whenever I'm saving channel strip settings. Just make sure that when you enter the dialog box for saving the channels strip setting that you've expanded the dialog box to allow you to browse around (you don't need to browse around, but this view also gives you the "new folder" option.

3. Here's a strange one... It turns out that the mix engine in Logic 8,9,X all allow successful mixing beyond the clip-out level on the meters. If you turn on Normalize, when bouncing... (hear me out) it will actually do an accurate normalize, and bring the final product down below clipping level. It's because it's summing beyond 24bits (i'm paraphrasing) ... Anyway, I'm a big fan of managing my gain-stages so that I"m not peaking... but if you "live in the red" in logic... it's actually not as bad as in other DAW's

syrupcore
deaf.

Re: Logic 8 Workflows

Post by syrupcore » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:28 pm

alexdingley wrote:1. Consider using the "fade tool" for quick fade outs, instead of jumping right to automation. If you hit "escape" and type a Zero, you'll have the fade tool without having to use the buttons at the top of the screen. The fade tool lets you drag a fade over the audio clip, creating fade-ins / fade-outs / cross fades quickly. It also allows you to edit a fade to give it any particular curve that suits the situation. So: fade first, automate later

That was my first thought.

Also, you can adjust the overall volume of a track with automation on it a few different ways:

1. Insert a Gain plugin (plugins->utility->gain) and adjust that as needed
2. Hold down command and drag up/down on the numerical value or yellow slider next to it in the track header. That moves all automation points as a group.
3. Bussing the track somewhere and adjusting the volume there