Protools and Windows XP

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

doctari
gimme a little kick & snare

Protools and Windows XP

Post by doctari » Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:05 am

This may be discussed elsewhere but I would like to get opinions on my recent gear issue. Less than a year ago I replaced the power supply, in my XP recording desk top PC, and now it seems to power up but the only image on the monitor is the analog/digital tag at start up. I fear this 10 year old Dawbox (served my needs well) has reached the end of it's service life. If I cannot return it to service, is there any way to continue using the Digi002 and Digimax FS with a new computer/operating system? I have most of my work saved to external fw hard drives. This is not a great time to shell out money for my home, non-profit, recording room, but something seems to be missing without a working multi-track rig.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:24 am

you can run it on Windows 7 for sure, but you need at least version 8 of Pro Tools LE. Pro Tools 9 also works great, but I believe with version 10 it was no longer supported (and people have told me it did not work reliable either).

another option is to get Reaper, of course if you are used to Pro Tools then you will have to learn the new software... You might want check over on duc.avid.com to see if anyone has been able to get PT8 or PT9 to run on Windows 8 (since most new systems will have that...) however looking over at dell.com and such, you can still get a new system with Win7 on it.

btw, I remember there being an issue with Pro Tools and XP whenever Microsoft would try to push down a new version of Internet Exploder - it would kill Pro Tools. I eventually uninstalled IE and loaded Chrome instead (IE works great for downloading a new browser...).

but sounds like you have a hardware problem - the "analog/digital" tag is just your monitor searching for a signal and not getting one.

Mike
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com