Yamaha M1516 gain staging/interfacing

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

realmseeker
audio school graduate

Yamaha M1516 gain staging/interfacing

Post by realmseeker » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:46 am

I just picked up a Yamaha m1516 and I am having trouble getting enough signal from the board to my tape deck. The m1516 doesnt have direct outs, so I am trying to record via the inserts, which operate at -6db nominal. I am running out of the interstage of the m1516 using an 8 channel TS snake into a Tascam 38 (which operates at -10db). I'm getting a good solid line level signal to the board but not enough from the board to the Tascam. Wouldn't -6db be enough to drive the -10db inputs? The only other option I'm seeing here is running out of the program masters of the m1516 at +4db into a Tascam LA-81 to match the impedance of the Tascam 38 but I really don't want to do this. I should have bought an Otari... :roll:

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:53 pm

I'm wondering about your wiring. A quick glance at the 1516 manual says those outputs are TRS, but unbalanced. I wonder if you need a special TRS->TS cable, or TRS->TRS or TS->TS to make the best connection. Have you tried all those possibilities? Also, you might just want to try the buss or program outs with and without the Tascam thingyy before you dismiss that option. It just might just work without. Usually level problems can be handled by turning something up, and the impedance problems we all fear sometimes never manifest themselves. Also, are you sure there aren't internal jumpers, or external switches, somewhere that aren't in unison?
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

realmseeker
audio school graduate

Post by realmseeker » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:26 pm

Snarl 12/8 wrote:I'm wondering about your wiring. A quick glance at the 1516 manual says those outputs are TRS, but unbalanced. I wonder if you need a special TRS->TS cable, or TRS->TRS or TS->TS to make the best connection. Have you tried all those possibilities? Also, you might just want to try the buss or program outs with and without the Tascam thingyy before you dismiss that option. It just might just work without. Usually level problems can be handled by turning something up, and the impedance problems we all fear sometimes never manifest themselves. Also, are you sure there aren't internal jumpers, or external switches, somewhere that aren't in unison?
Thanks for your reply! I noticed the TRS thing too but aren't TRS cables balanced? After looking at the block diagram I noticed that the jack symbol at the "out" of the interstage looks to be a TS but Im new to all of this. As far as the jumpers go, I see there are only two jumper points, one is to swap the foldback to be pre eq, pre fader instead of post eq,pre fader. The other is adding 10db of gain to the program, echo and foldback output stages. Nothing about the patch eq interstage..

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:24 pm

TRS is often used for balanced, but it isn't balanced if the signal going into it isn't balanced. Often a TS into a (balanced) TRS will unbalance it, but sometimes it creates problems. Have you tried making the connection with TRS->TRS, TRS->TS and TS->TS? Could be one of those works best for what you're trying to do. It also could be that you need a special TRS->TS to get this to work. Have you seen the Rane "interconnects" thingy?

http://www.rane.com/note110.html

There's a lot of ways to skin the cat.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

realmseeker
audio school graduate

Post by realmseeker » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:43 am

Snarl 12/8 wrote:TRS is often used for balanced, but it isn't balanced if the signal going into it isn't balanced. Often a TS into a (balanced) TRS will unbalance it, but sometimes it creates problems. Have you tried making the connection with TRS->TRS, TRS->TS and TS->TS? Could be one of those works best for what you're trying to do. It also could be that you need a special TRS->TS to get this to work. Have you seen the Rane "interconnects" thingy?

http://www.rane.com/note110.html

There's a lot of ways to skin the cat.
I will definitely try the TRS interconnection although it looks like I'll have to wire one up TRS>TS with neutral floating. If all else fails I'll have to send the signals out of the program outs and buy the converter. Thanks again.