MX-5050 MkIII-2 interconnect cable

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

JohnRichard
audio school

MX-5050 MkIII-2 interconnect cable

Post by JohnRichard » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:44 am

So I recently purchased an MX-5050 for cheap. I discovered that of all the cables the interconnect that runs between the deck and the control/preamp box is missing. This is the blue tipped cable (20-pin?).

I have searched and so far not found what I need.

Is this something that I could potentially find elsewhere? Or, should I try to make my own?

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:24 pm

Like this?
On eBay, here and here.

JohnRichard
audio school

Post by JohnRichard » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:21 pm

Yes, however the first one is cut, and the second is 34 feet long and outrageously priced. Going to hard wire it at this point tho I have no idea why people loose the cords and Otari designed these this way... no reason complaining.

JohnRichard
audio school

Post by JohnRichard » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:25 pm

Update:

Now after a good long internet search session with the deck beside me I can tell you the things.

I do not have a "B" model deck, I have a MkIII-2 deck.

The connectors are as follows (for those that want to know for future reference)
Honda MR-34 is the blue connector that runs from the deck to the amp, and JAE made the 5 and 10 pin connectors for the other two required cables. These connectors are still sold by different places and are not on the cheap side. $10 ea or there abouts...

If you want to make a cable yourself (not hard), you need a male and female version of each connector, and 34+15*3 = 147 FEET of something like 22 gauge wire (and 200 feet of patience).

As far as I have read, it's a straight through connection.

There IS a 37-pin external control socket on the deck, but this is not needed to make the deck operate, or connect the deck to the amp. There are multiple versions of each mark, and the last version of the manual is labeled 1999, revision 5 (or fifth edition sometimes).

This manual is excellent, however they changed the way the amp connects to the deck when the model number went to "B" so read carefully.

Hope this helps someone. I'm off to make cables.