RegisterRegister
FAQ  -  SEARCH  -  MEMBERS  -  FAVORITES  -  PROFILE
Help me come to terms with giving stuff away...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> Making A Space
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snarl 12/8
ghost haunting audio students

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:21 pm    Post subject: Help me come to terms with giving stuff away... Reply with quote

Hey,

I have way too much gear. It hit me yesterday, that I have enough gear to record 2 live rock bands simultaneously. Actually, I'd be short one bass. I have two bass rigs, one bass, two guitar amps, two guitars, two drum sets, enough mics and mixers and recorders to get the job done though. I don't want to ditch it all, or even most of it, but a lot of it never gets used, but no one wants to buy it.

I'm putting this in the "making a space" forum, because the stuff is getting in my way. I keep going down to my basement to build a guitar cabinet that I want to build for a friend, but I can't because there's a Ramsa mixer sitting in the middle of my wood shop. I've been trying to sell my Ramsa DA7 and MX2424 for a year now, but I'm realizing that I'd be happier giving it away tomorrow than having it in my way for the next year. Each day it gets harder to sell it too.

But the idea of giving it to someone and then finding out they flipped it and sold it somehow would chap my hide. Or that I gave it to someone I knew and they didn't give a fuck about it, because it was free, and they just let it get destroyed or essentially stolen by their bozo "friends." Does anyone have any good "giving it away" advice? Like how would I find worthy people or organizations to take the stuff. Anyone have any great experiences clearing the crap out of their lives for the better? Inspire me to take the plunge.

Thanks,

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.
JWL
deaf.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: Help me come to terms with giving stuff away... Reply with quote

There are lots of things like youth groups that teach kids how to record. Probably the most famous one I can think of it the Women's Audio Mission in San Francisco.

http://www.womensaudiomission.org/

Donating your stuff to an organization like that might be a good bet.
vvv
zen recordist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Help me come to terms with giving stuff away... Reply with quote

Mebbe Craigslist it for 1/2 value + buyer's promise of a "good home"?

Quoting yer impassioned rationale above in the listing could be helpful. Cool
ubertar
cryogenically thawing

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Help me come to terms with giving stuff away... Reply with quote

A former student of mine is a fledgling engineer. He was my student in a tough school in a tough neighborhood. I'm sure he'd appreciate and take good care of any gear, and put it to good use. I can put you in contact if you want.
kslight
dead but not forgotten

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me come to terms with giving stuff away... Reply with quote

That'd be a pretty cool thing to have for someone that had a space and didn't care about having the latest/greatest or pro tools. I know a small studio owner that could make great use out of that stuff being an analog guy (doesn't have anything but the same equipment he bought in the 70s!) and not really computer savvy... Problem with giving it away to most people is they probably just don't have the space to use it adequately, and most young engineers have only ever used computers. I've used a DA7...I remember when my school tried to sell theirs I would've loved to have it but they wanted some crazy amount for it. They also had that Tascam unit.
Snarl 12/8

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:56 am    Post subject: Re: Help me come to terms with giving stuff away... Reply with quote

I don't want to ship the DA7. I would be willing to ship the MX2424, but they are both TDIF format, so I feel like they'd be best sent off together, if someone was going to actually use them. I guess I was asking for philosophical help because I need to solve this problem locally, but I could use some ideas for how to approach this. The SF idea makes me think about "Rock and Roll Camp for Girls," my daughter went there a couple times and it was awesome for her, but I had a sortof falling out with them. That was ages and probably 6 boards of directors ago, so maybe I should just get over myself and contact them.

kslight
dead but not forgotten

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Help me come to terms with giving stuff away... Reply with quote

Where are you located?
blungo2
re-cappin' neve

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Help me come to terms with giving stuff away... Reply with quote

My house/studio is pretty small. Often, if i want to get some new gear, there just isn't space for it so i have to deaquisition something. Fairly often it's the case that what I can get for a given item is not what I'm willing to part with it for. When that happens I find someone who I know will really appreciate the item and give it to them. i could give a shit whether they turn around and give it away or sell it down the road, at least it's getting used.

Recently I gave my Monome grayscale 64 to a friend because they were selling for so little and I new he would dig it.
vxboogie
pushin' record

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Help me come to terms with giving stuff away... Reply with quote

I just gave away two guitars, but I had known the people for a years. Like you, I have a bunch of stuff that has been sitting and not being used. I feel that both people will use them regularly.

In my mind, once I give something away, I have be able to let go completely and not really care what happens to it. It's out of my control.

Best wishes on what you do.
macpogue
audio school

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me come to terms with giving stuff away... Reply with quote

Snarl 12/8 wrote:
The SF idea makes me think about "Rock and Roll Camp for Girls,"

If you need help contacting someone at the organization, I can help you get in touch and see if they could use the mixer/recorder! It's cool to see other TOMB people mention Rock Camp.
Snarl 12/8

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me come to terms with giving stuff away... Reply with quote

macpogue wrote:
Snarl 12/8 wrote:
The SF idea makes me think about "Rock and Roll Camp for Girls,"

If you need help contacting someone at the organization, I can help you get in touch and see if they could use the mixer/recorder! It's cool to see other TOMB people mention Rock Camp.

Hey, you're the guy I sold my 2408 to? Small town. Who would you contact at Rock Camp?

I know Mac knows, but I'm in Portland, Oregon, BTW.

macpogue
audio school

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:42 am    Post subject: Re: Help me come to terms with giving stuff away... Reply with quote

Indeed, you did sell me the 2408, which incidentally I used not long after I bought it to record the RNRC4G executive director's band! Their website says to contact their general email, listed up here, for questions regarding donations. I would say try talking to them there (I imagine any donation inquiries get funneled to their gear director), and if you don't hear back DM me and I can talk to the director about who you ought to talk to.
Snarl 12/8

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:53 am    Post subject: Re: Help me come to terms with giving stuff away... Reply with quote

That's funny. I just sent them an email about 1 minute ago. Thanks for your offer of liasoning. I'll let you know if I need it.

Nick Sevilla
speech impediment

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Help me come to terms with giving stuff away... Reply with quote

My rule is :

If it sits for one year, it goes out the door.

Cheers
standup
buyin' gear

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me come to terms with giving stuff away... Reply with quote

Sniff. I love this thread.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> Making A Space All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: