Thoughts on a concert

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

GooberNumber9
tinnitus

Post by GooberNumber9 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:36 am

Makes sense. I've never worked with a band or venue with enough gear or budget to make it worthwhile or even possible in most cases. I was thinking about wrong way monitors after I posted the question. With the take-your-head-off levels I've usually tried to get the right-way monitors at in the past, there's been spill from monitors to audience on the lower-height stages.

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Post by honkyjonk » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:40 am

Yeah,

I've seen some pretty bad sounding shows at the Crystal as well. Yo La Tengo sounded horrible when I saw them. Bummer. That drinking/non drinking split is ridiculous. If they were going to do that, they should just do it right up the middle instead of forcing the drinkers way off the front in this slanted 2/5's angled back space.

It still sounds better than the Wonder Ballroom though, imo.

I saw Dead Moon there (Crystal) last year however, and it was amazing. Maybe the limited instrumentation. Maybe just because everyone was so pumped up.
Stilgar, we've got wormsign the likes of which God has never seen!

DougK
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by DougK » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:28 pm

I've mixed quite a bit at the Crystal ballroom, and for sure it's very difficult.
The subs are mono center so there is the least amount of comb filtering, but the issue I've found is that the spring loaded floor resonates, making the bass very loose. The corner setup sucks, yes- and there is no acoustic treatment in the room whatsoever.
The EV install/ flown pa in there isn't the most musical rig either- the cabs lend to sibilance issues and need quite a bit of creative tweaking to get to sound correct.
All that said, i've also been touring the same circuit the past year as WOD, seen a bunch of their sets and it's sounded pretty much how you describe every show? that's a whole other discussion though...