iPod docks or bluetooth speakers as reference monitors

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Magnetic Services
suffering 'studio suck'

iPod docks or bluetooth speakers as reference monitors

Post by Magnetic Services » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:14 pm

Does anybody have one of those ipod docks (with speakers) or wireless bluetooth speakers permanently set up as a reference monitor? Like, all hooked up to your monitor controller/switcher and able to A/B/C it against other monitors while mixing?

I think this could be super useful, especially as those pill-shaped things keep getting product placement in pop music videos and all the kids are buyin' em.

Anyone out there know of a good way to do this, wireless or hardwired?

I guess even my old beat-up macbook could work, just by switching the headphone jack to be an input...

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:32 pm

I got a free Beats Boom box thingy which hooks up via iPod or 1/8"" stereo.
It is basically a LOUD mono speaker, sounds boomy as heck.

Also, the old standbys help a lot: the Auratones.
If you can get a mix to sound decent in one of those, you'll kick ass on anything else.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:35 am

Nick Sevilla wrote:
Also, the old standbys help a lot: the Auratones.
If you can get a mix to sound decent in one of those, you'll kick ass on anything else.

Cheers
Agreed. A good substitute can be had by plugging into the aux input of a Tivoli Audio radio.It's mono and the speaker is smaller than an auratone. I have one in my kitchen and it's always on when I'm cooking. I often check mixes on it because A) it a good "crappy" real life reference and B) listening to it every day means I know it really well.

I have an ipod doc that I sometimes check things on but I find it too shitty sounding to wire up in the studio for any kind of consistent use. I also check on my laptop speakers at some point but I can't really say that either of those two change my mind about the mix.

I recently added one of these to the home studio -

It's pretty useful (especially if you can find it cheap) and will do mono, left minus right (basically eliminating the centre of the mix), left only and right only. It's got a set of 3 or 4" speakers built in but you can also bypass them and use it as an amp to drive an external set. I've got mine hooked up to a set of auratones.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:26 am

Be nice if I could just repurpose an old iPhone to do just this...was thinking about this the other day actually.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:43 pm

Yes. We've got something like this in the control room: https://www.fasttech.com/product/128410 ... ic-speaker ... Cheaper/crappier than those, probably. But it definitely gives a different perspective.

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "