RegisterRegister
FAQ  -  SEARCH  -  MEMBERS  -  FAVORITES  -  PROFILE
Avoiding wall perforations

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> Making A Space
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cprescott1972
audio school graduate

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:39 pm    Post subject: Avoiding wall perforations Reply with quote

Hello. Planning a new studio space and am wondering about avoiding too many wall perforations due to standard outlets and switches. Seems like putting boxes and wire conduit on the surface of the wall would avoid having so many holes to let sound out. Ugly, perhaps. Seems like most people don't build this way. Am I missing something? I know there's a trade off with aesthetics. Perhaps not worth potential soundproofing benefits? Any thoughts? Thanks!
digitaldrummer
deaf.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Avoiding wall perforations Reply with quote

My walls have insulation, caulk, etc. to seal up the "holes". And besides that there is still an outer wall on my studio. oh, and my exterior walls are build on 2x6" studs. I'm not really having any major noise leakage issues. it will probably depend on your wall construction and whats on the other side.
DrummerMan
george martin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Avoiding wall perforations Reply with quote

Most studios I see have surface mounted outlet and light switch boxes. In the past and for my upcoming build I make them out of stained hardwood boards so they look nice (to me). Then you can either...

1) connect through the wall to each box, with as small a hole as you need to fit the wire through, then caulk around the opening to make sure there isn't any leakage. This is what I've done.

2) run your wire on the outside to one junction point where it goes through the wall. If you use the rectangular conduit that's made for this kind of thing it's not as ugly as you think it would be. If you paint it the same color as the wall it kind of just disappears.

I'm sure there's a way to recess an isolation box to have the outlet flush mounted as well.

People like firestop putty around the back of their outlet boxes as well, but I don't know if that isolates as well as a well constructed wall with a small hole that's caulked closed.
Snarl 12/8
ghost haunting audio students

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Avoiding wall perforations Reply with quote

DrummerMan wrote:
In the past and for my upcoming build I make them out of stained hardwood boards so they look nice (to me). Then you can either...

Is that up to code? Can we see a picture?

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.
DrummerMan
george martin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:05 am    Post subject: Re: Avoiding wall perforations Reply with quote

It's just a regular surface mounted metal outlet box, just surrounded by wood for decorative purposes. See some close ups a little ways down the page from my old trailer studio.

I honestly never thought that it would be problematic, code wise. What would be the issue?
roscoenyc
george martin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Avoiding wall perforations Reply with quote

I'm hoping you have the Rod Gervais book.
DrummerMan
george martin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Avoiding wall perforations Reply with quote

roscoenyc wrote:
I'm hoping you have the Rod Gervais book.

Me? or the OP...

I do, of course. Smile
roscoenyc
george martin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: Avoiding wall perforations Reply with quote

OP!
You must have it by now!
Snarl 12/8
ghost haunting audio students

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: Avoiding wall perforations Reply with quote

DrummerMan wrote:
I honestly never thought that it would be problematic, code wise. What would be the issue?

I thought you said the box itself was made of wood. Those do look nice. Carry on!

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.
cprescott1972
audio school graduate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:32 am    Post subject: Re: Avoiding wall perforations Reply with quote

I do actually. I was just reading up on the outlet putty pads. Great idea. Thanks!
goldstar
takin' a dinner break

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Avoiding wall perforations Reply with quote

Don't forget about door latch holes, too. If you can, buy unbored doors and use pull handles and pushplates with either a closer or a roller catch instead of a standard door knob. Knobs make a 2 1/8" hole in the door that is impossible to make airtight ( = soundproof).

Frank
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> Making A Space All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: