VI splurge: Native instruments or reason?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Electricide
dead but not forgotten

VI splurge: Native instruments or reason?

Post by Electricide » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:31 am

I have Tracktion 5, and what I'm missing are some good virtual instruments: piano, strings, and organs.

I've been tempted to just get a bundle, like Native 10, or Reason 8. Just looking for someone who has used these different products.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:27 pm

I love Reason, been using it since it came out, though it is probably not the best value if all you need are pianos, organs, and strings...while it does have that stuff, they are probably not comparable to a dedicated, more detailed sample platform. Reason is better for its synths, sequencing style, and DAW workflow and interface.

mrpicholas
alignin' 24-trk

Post by mrpicholas » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:02 pm

Komplete is pretty "complete."

There's not much that's not there. I bought it primarily for Kontakt and Battery, but now I use Reaktor more than anything. Massive, FM8 and Absynth are unique and useful in their own ways.

I also use AAS String Studio and Ultimate Analog sometimes, and their other plugs are pretty cool too.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:21 pm

ARTURIA.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

NI

Post by alexdingley » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:53 pm

I would love to say "arturia" as well... but I've been using their bundle for years & it's so buggy that I've kind of gotten away from it. I find that the stand-alone arturia apps crash and reset their preferences all the time... the only way to get the app to run again is to throw away the pref file for it.

So... I ended up buying komplete, almost solely for Kontakt. I have a huge Yamaha C7 Piano sample that I love... but Logic's sampler would choke on heavy compositions with that sample... so I tried Kontakt and it was a dream... then I got into Massive... it's a beast! FM8 has some nice sounds too... and Reaktor has some intense patches in it.

So... NI has won me over. Also, the idea of having Kontakt auto-boot with a certain patch / multi setup is a dream come true. Live, my macbook pro just boots up to Kontakt with my patches all loaded & mapped to the appropriate midi inputs. No fuss/muss.

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

oohh

Post by alexdingley » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:54 pm

...and I worked with Reason for several years... so I'm not knocking Propellerheads. That tool is unique and very fun... but NI just has the edge on sound quality & professional work-flow. The trade-off is that you kind of have to spend a little more time learning the NI interface.

mrc
re-cappin' neve

Post by mrc » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:06 am

Yeah, Alex, and with my last pc that has an Amd quad 970 (upgradeable cheap)+32 gigs of ram/+os on ssd along with vienna pro ensemble 5 to run Kontact and 10 Ultimate on, it comes alive for my mac air. With that and UAD hardware for effects inputs plus external video monitors, the mac air I-5/4gig/ssd becomes a steering mechanism for Logic and other proggies in my world. It's nothing like the early 70's :wink:

mrc
re-cappin' neve

Post by mrc » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:47 am

Iconnect 2 & 4 could be used to add more pc/mac/ios devices, plus legacy midi and wireless or hardwired midi, as many as you like (it appears) plus audio pass thru [composite device] along with the audio/midi iconnect 4 unit for even more. What a time for musicians we are living in! It appears processor power is no longer and issue

No Wave Casio Kitsch
re-cappin' neve

Post by No Wave Casio Kitsch » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:13 pm

We have the NI Komplete 10 Ultimate here, Reason, and the latest Arturia V Collection at the studio. Reason is certainly cool, but NI Komplete stomps it and it's not close.
Who cares what it sounds like soloed?

Freelance Recording/Production
Assistant Studio Manager - ShangriLA Studios

justinf
re-cappin' neve

Post by justinf » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:52 am

Agree with others here, Komplete 10 just stomps Reason. I'm using 7 still and having a hard time justifying moving to 8 at all.